XPS 7100 Power Supply

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 7100 Power Supply

This question is answered

My XPS 7100 stopped booting up yesterday. The power light goes amber and blinks and the machine makes four beeps. I did some research and found that the most likely problem is that the power supply in the machine is dying and needs to be replaced. I bought the machine refurbished so this isn't entirely unfeasible. My question is when shopping for a replacement, is it possible to use any universal power supply in the XPS 7100? I want to go somewhere local where I can replace the component and hopefully get my machine back up and running as soon as possible.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but what do I need to do in order to install a second HDD inside the machine? I saw that the 7100 has the space for it and the power supply allows the connection of a second HDD. Is simply putting one in and connecting it all I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

Verified Answer
  • Any ATX type power supply will work.  I recommend a good name brand unit though.  Make sure it has all the connections you need especially SATA connectors if you want another hard drive.  

Just install and connect the power cable and SATA cable to the 2nd hard drive.  Make sure it is a SATA hard drive.  Format the new hard drive (NTFS file system) also after you have it installed so it can be used.  

All Replies
  • Any ATX type power supply will work.  I recommend a good name brand unit though.  Make sure it has all the connections you need especially SATA connectors if you want another hard drive.  

Just install and connect the power cable and SATA cable to the 2nd hard drive.  Make sure it is a SATA hard drive.  Format the new hard drive (NTFS file system) also after you have it installed so it can be used.  

• Thank you for the quick and precise feedback.

• This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.    

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community