Dell Inspiron Randomly Plays Classical Music

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Inspiron Randomly Plays Classical Music

This question is not answered

My dell desktop PC has been randomly playing short clips of classical music for several months. I have googled for this problem and found that sometimes the BIOS will send a message to the speakers to do this when someing internally is failing. Do I need to order a new computer or can I find and fix the problem with my current one?

All Replies
  • Hi mcspaho1,

What's the model?

• mcspaho1

My dell desktop PC has been randomly playing short clips of classical music for several months. I have googled for this problem and found that sometimes the BIOS will send a message to the speakers to do this when someing internally is failing. Do I need to order a new computer or can I find and fix the problem with my current one?

mcspaho1

Have you tried running Dell diagnostics extended test on the computer?

Bev.

Ps. It helps to include the model number and the version of windows installed, Dell makes many different Inspiron models

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I should add to Bev's message that I am skeptical of advice from anyone who believes the "BIOS sends a message to the speakers when something is internally failing."

• It's a Dell Inspiron 580 desktop. I ran the Dell diagnostics extended test through the Dell Support Help Center software and nothing showed up. this is where I found the bit about the Bios.

Computer Randomly Plays Classical Music
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 261186
    Last Review : March 27, 2007
    Revision : 3.3
    This article was previously published under Q261186

SUMMARY
    During normal operation or in Safe mode, your computer may play "Fur Elise" or "It's a Small, Small World" seemingly at random. This is an indication sent to the PC speaker from the computer's BIOS that the CPU fan is failing or has failed, or that the power supply voltages have drifted out of tolerance. This is a design feature of a detection circuit and system BIOSes developed by Award/Unicore from 1997 on.

MORE INFORMATION
    Although these symptoms may appear to be virus-like, they are the result of an electronic hardware monitoring component of the motherboard and BIOS. You may want to have your computer checked or servic

• Sorry, it's a Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 7 operating system.I ran the dell diagnostic extended test via Dell Support Center software.

• Hilarious. Never heard of this feature.

I would check the fan first. Very cheap and easy to replace.

• If it ever plays '' welcome to the jungle '' by guns&roses ...its definitely the motherboard going bad .......sorry just couldn't resist

•  

I've read about this issue before.

Many years ago, the same issue was posted in 'DellTalk', unfortunately I cannot remember if there was a resolution, 'tempus fugit'.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell