XPS 410 won't boot past BIOS - Could dust cause this? The 1,2,&3 green lights show

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 410 won't boot past BIOS - Could dust cause this? The 1,2,&3 green lights show

This question is answered

I bought a new computer and moved my XPS 410 to another room in my home.  I noticed a lot of dust on the grids, lower front so, stupidly, I quickly brushed it away with a soft brush.  A lot came into the room.  When I turned the computer on it would not go completely through the bios to windows.  I removed the cover and blew out the dust hoping it was the problem.  Immediately after that it did boot fully; all seemed well.  The next day I attempted to turn it on again; just part way through bios again.  I bought a can of compressed air from Office Max - they said I could use it inside the box but warned against turning it upside down.  I was careful about that.  After closing the box it did, once again, boot up; all seemed well again.  Actually I was able to get it to boot several days but it would give me the 'silent treatment' intermittently.  Yesterday I could not get it to go beyond that usual point in the bios.  The lights on the front usually showed 1,2,&3 - green.  But once it showed the 3 & 4 green lights only and my manual says the memory modules are detected but a memory failure has occured.  I first re-seated both memory sticks.  This did not help.  I then removed one.  No help.  They not being easy to replace I decided to put it back, make sure both were securely locked in place, try to turn it on and if nothing happened different to seek help elsewhere.

I must add: during my frustrating attempts those light patterns changed often; I have mentioned the most often shown.  And I have reseated all the inside cables I could do easily.  All of this has been over the course of about one week as I moved the computer on the 14th of June.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bessie

Verified Answer
  • This is Bessie again.  I stumbled on the answer:  When getting ready to take my tower to a computer store to have it 'fixed' I sat it on my kitchen table.  Then I decided to try it just one more time - went and got the monitor and mouse, plugged them in and pushed the button on the tower.  It booted normally!  So I decided it must have not been getting enough ventilation where I had it so I removed the printer and set the tower so it would have lots of venting.  It booted up just fine.  Then one day I decided to move something else from the credenza and made room for the printer.  Plugged it in and my old problem came back!  I was about ready to throw the printer in the garbage can at that point.  But I removed it and my computer continues to boot just fine.  I did try the printer connected to another, older Dell computer I have and much to my surprise it booted just fine.  So I will just give that Dell Printer to someone else along with the older (Dim 8400) computer someday.  In the meantime I will continue to use my older HP printer!  Funny though.  That Dell printer was purchased along with the XPS 410.  Guess I am still scratching my head on all of this!

All Replies
  • This is Bessie again.  I stumbled on the answer:  When getting ready to take my tower to a computer store to have it 'fixed' I sat it on my kitchen table.  Then I decided to try it just one more time - went and got the monitor and mouse, plugged them in and pushed the button on the tower.  It booted normally!  So I decided it must have not been getting enough ventilation where I had it so I removed the printer and set the tower so it would have lots of venting.  It booted up just fine.  Then one day I decided to move something else from the credenza and made room for the printer.  Plugged it in and my old problem came back!  I was about ready to throw the printer in the garbage can at that point.  But I removed it and my computer continues to boot just fine.  I did try the printer connected to another, older Dell computer I have and much to my surprise it booted just fine.  So I will just give that Dell Printer to someone else along with the older (Dim 8400) computer someday.  In the meantime I will continue to use my older HP printer!  Funny though.  That Dell printer was purchased along with the XPS 410.  Guess I am still scratching my head on all of this!