How to replace CMOS battery?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

How to replace CMOS battery?

This question is not answered

Hi all, any special instructions on how to replace the Dell Dimension 8200 CR2032 CMOS battery located in the mobo? Thanks

All Replies
  • Nothing special.  Power it off before removing the battery.  Just make sure you get the new one installed with the correct polarity.

The Dell manual doesn't even show anything on it.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Thanks fireberd, I posted this question because as you say the Dell manual does not mention any instructions on replacing the CMOS battery.

Will the BIOS settings be lost when replacing the battery? If so, should I take note of all the settings to be able to restore them afterwards? I read that even when the CMOS battery is removed, the mobo will keep the BIOS settings for about 15 minutes which is more than enough to place the new battery and not lose the BIOS config.

• The BIOS will reset when the battery is removed.  If you have any custom settings in the BIOS, make a note of those so you can reset them after you are done.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.