optiplex 780 ddr3 issue

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

optiplex 780 ddr3 issue

This question is answered

hi everyone,

i've just bought some extra ram for my dell optiplex 780 (DT), which is Dual Channel DDR3 Corsair Value Select, 2 x 2 Go, PC3-10600, CAS 9

once inserted, (tried with swapping modules - just one and swapping banks) no way to boot, just an awful sound from the buzzer ^^

question : are this ram modules compatible with this computer ?

btw, i found out that 'it should be' according to the kingston site (on which you select your computer and it tells you what modules are for you ^^)

thanks !

claude

Verified Answer
  • Hi Claude,

Welcome to Dell Community.

Your Dell Optiplex 780 does support DDR3 memory but the maximum memory speed it supports is 1067MHz (PC2-8500). The memory modules which you have purchased have memory speed of 1333MHz and unfortunately they are not compatible with your computer.

Please contact the vendor for getting the memory modules replaced with 1067MHz modules.

If you have any further questions feel free to reply.

Thanks & Regards
    Kalyan S
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US; India. For Dell support videos click Here.

All Replies
  • Hi Claude,

Welcome to Dell Community.

Your Dell Optiplex 780 does support DDR3 memory but the maximum memory speed it supports is 1067MHz (PC2-8500). The memory modules which you have purchased have memory speed of 1333MHz and unfortunately they are not compatible with your computer.

Please contact the vendor for getting the memory modules replaced with 1067MHz modules.

If you have any further questions feel free to reply.

Thanks & Regards
    Kalyan S
    #iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US; India. For Dell support videos click Here.

• Hi Kalyan,

Thanks for your reply.

So now i know what to do : get some new ram modules ^^

Again thanks for your advice.

Have a good day

Claude

• Hi, i just beefed up a dell optiplex 780 to quad 9550 cpu, seagate 620 watt psu, it already had windows 7 64bit on it. To the point: crucial 16 gb of 4x4gb dimms ddr3 1333 gaming/sport ram with the metal heat things on the sides of the ram modules and motherboard knocked the ram down to 1067 mhz (i expected that) chipset limit... I dont care because it's FAST! Had to reboot a couple times for it to get comfortable with the ram... Almost forgot, performance heatsink w/copper to cool quad well. Ran prime95 -- not much heating. It works well, hope this info helps someone.
  • Hi,

As our friend Claude, I bought a 4GB DDR3 1333MHz, and not worked. But as I see on the technical guidebox below, this should be possible.

http://i.dell.com/sites/content/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/optiplex-780-tech-guide.pdf

Any ideas?

Thanks Everson.

• My solution copy pasted from another topic about this issue:

Hey guys, I just bought 2x 4gb's of ddr3 10600, for my Optiplex780MT  and at first it wasnt working. Doing a bit of a search made me start to get a little pissed off but this board does take DDR3 10600, hell it already had 2x 2gb sticks of DDR3-10600 in it and worked fine. That didnt stop it from not booting when i put in the new RAM. A bit of trouble shooting and I was able to fix this problem, rather simply.

First upgrade the bios, to A15, mine was still on A01. Download it from the dell downloads page, then run it as an administrator.

When the update is finished, turn off the computer, unplug it, open the case. Hit the power button again to drain power until the LED's go out

Install the new RAM. Shut everything up, plug in the computer and power on.

Viola, that's what i did, you now need to enter bios because the configuration has changed, be sure to check the HDD AHCI/ATA/RAID to the correct setting, updating the bios set the default to RAID, I put it back to AHCI auto detect once i figured out why windows wasnt starting.

That's pretty much it, now running 8 gigs of PC3 10600 1333Mhz that its clocking down to 1066mhz.

So you know, it was running with the A01 Bios on 2x2gb of:  hynix 2gb 2rx8 pc3-10600u-9-10-b0 (HMT125U6TFR8C-H9 N0 AA     1031) I dont know for sure, but i assume you could use 4 2 gbs easily and this stuff is pretty cheap on ebay

Now it is running with A15 Bios on: 2x4gb Crucial ct2kit51264ba1339 -- This is no longer available on their site and is possibly discontinued but I got it new w/ lifetime warranty on amazon for 84 shipped with tax, and its on newegg too for 90.

Anyway hope this is helpful, just waiting now for the hdd, vid card and psu to arrive to hopefully turn this freebie computer into a relatively decent machine.