adding a video card to a Dimension C521 power supply question - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

adding a video card to a Dimension C521 power supply question

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

adding a video card to a Dimension C521 power supply question

This question has been answered by shesagordie

Hi, I have an old C521 running Win7 with new memory (8GB) and a recent 1TB hard drive and want to add a video card. I bought a cheap one.. a ZOTAC GeForce 210 with 1024 MB memory, etc.. And, the box says "300W power supply mininum."

My power supply is 280W I believe (factory). My question is can I run this video card OK?

What will happen if the power supply is insufficient?

My main aim is to run a 2nd flat panel. No heavy video, photos or editing, etc..

Just lots of screens as I go through my daily stuff.. Word, Outlook, browsers, PDF's, etc..

Thanks for any insight..

Jim H

PS I notice Dell offers a video card for the 521 that suggests 350W mininum PSU

Verified Answer
  • rdunnill

Video card manufacturers are famous for overstating power supply requirements.

Ain't that the truth and it's way over sometimes.  LOL   Stick out tongue

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

All Replies
  • visionariesthrive

The ZOTAC GeForce 210 1GB should work fine with the default 280w PSU.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Hi visionariesthrive,

Welcome to the community.

I see that the recommended power supply for this video card (GeForce 210 1GB) is 300 W and the system was shipped with a 280W power supply.

However I have also seen that this system supports other video cards that need bigger power supply.  Thus the video card that you have found should work on the computer.

To be on the safer side I’ll suggest to try the video card first or purchase the video card with a return guarantee. So that in case it does not work you can return the part.

Let me know of the findings, Glad to be of assistance.

Pankaj_Sharma

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

• Thanks.. I just ran a relatively simple Benchmark test (Dacris Benchmarks) and will run again after I install the viceo card. I will let you know how it all goes..

Thanks for the input..

Jim H

:)

• Video card manufacturers are famous for overstating power supply requirements.

• rdunnill

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks for the input! Very helpful to have a world of experience at my fingertips!

I am satisfied with the video card though i considered returning it for one with a fan.. but read enough to think that cheap cards with fans might be something else to go wrong.

I also found the Dacris Benchmarks software to be a great help in measuring success. Things really jumped after downloading the latest drivers from Nvida

Thanks for your help

• visionariesthrive

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• shesagordie

rdunnill

Bev.

A few days ago, some tech was suggesting 500 watts for a 6670. :)

• I have a C521 and am running a Radeon HD 6450 video card with no issues.  I also installed an Athlon X2 64 5000+ and all runs well with the power supply.  I did have some leaking capacitors on the motherboard that were all parallel with the on board video power supply, I resoldered new caps on the mobo and all is well.  This PC is still decent after all the upgrades, wife's cousin plays DayZ on it and it keeps up just fine.

• rob95758

Congradulations.   Yes

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Hi there, just read your thread about the Dell C521 and see you have it running on 8 Gb ram, how do you do that as it says its only capable of holding 4 Gb. Are Dell just pulling the strings saying that the 280W PSU wont do for these cards.

Cheers George

• It may have been that 2gb sticks weren't available at the time this design was certified, but the chipset supported 8gb and thus was future-proofed.

As an example, the E310 is officially certified for up to 2gb, but through personal experience I know it can support at least 4gb. 

• When my Dell 4700 unexpectedly died 18 mos ago, my buddy gave me this C521 which he had upgraded from Vista to Win7. I then replaced the hard drive, upgraded the memory to 8gb, added a cheap video card and now run two flat panels. I am considering a hybrid drive or a SSD but think I will go to a refurbished dell 8700 instead. Otherwise, it runs great for being 6 or 7 years old (or older). don't know if it is an AMD thing or what.. but it runs great!

Seems to run 8mbs of ram fine