DRMK and and OEM i386 fonts

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

DRMK and and OEM i386 fonts

This question is answered

Have a media edition machine with DRMK which has gone to el. What is saving me is the i386 directory created locally is tied to this OS and Licensing and
installs run ok from this directory. Question 1 ) Is there any real restore / fix for this DRMK partition and or a way to rebuild it to OEM. I have hit all
the other threads( years old ) and some are just junk and appears to be designed obsolescents via Dell aka I need the OEM disks if they exist ( unicorn ). 2)  I say the reinstall runs but the Security Tab sections are all in Arabic ( middle estern or there abouts ) 90% of this XP install is in English - scattered through out is this arabic script on tabs - Do I have the wrong STUB , crankey about wmploc.dll. never seen anything like this ...bug like ! I need to remove all other language font settings from this install i386 because its grabbing the wrong font on these tabs, I know its a simple fix but which file is it?

2 days from - SLAM, LL format and UBUNTU 10.x

its crazy out there.

ok

j

All Replies
  • DRMK is Dell's own DOS variant .  You can Clone these partitions with Symantec Ghost 8.3 or higher.

The Dell Utility partition is really an ordinary FAT16 partition (type 06h), but the partition descriptor (a 16-byte pointer in the partition table) has been altered to show a partition-type code of DEh instead of 06h (in hexadecimal notation).

(Note to self: the partition-type 0Eh (FAT16X) will work just as well as 06h here. However, to boot the Utility partition the partition itself cannot really be FAT16X because the Dell bios seems to expect the partition will be below cylinder 1024.)

The size of the partition is not critical, and seems to be around 31-64 MB on most systems. The files within the partition typically occupy less than 10 MB of this space.

Although a FAT16 partition would normally be recognizable to Windows, by using a non-standard, unofficial partition-type indicator in the partition descriptor the partition is ignored when Windows is booted from the main partition. This, of course, would be the way Dell likes it -- Dell doesn't want the user to tamper with the Utility partition when using the computer normally. Using any non-standard partition-type indicator will effectively hide a partition like this, but I suppose Dell uses DEh because it's cute (DE = DELL, get it?) and because nobody else is using it.    (Note to reader: the typically accepted method of hiding a 06h or 0Eh partition is to change it to 16h or 1Eh.)    Since DEh is not officially recognized, Dell can design their bios firmware to look for the DEh marker with a reasonable expectation that it will be one of their utility partitions.

The Utility partition is formatted with the FAT16 file system and boots DOS. Older Utility partitions booted MS-DOS 7.0 (the version of DOS from Windows 95). Newer Utility partitions boot DRMK 4.1 or 8.0. DRMK is Dell's own DOS variant, and appears to be functionally similar to MS-DOS.    (Note to reader: the purpose behind developing the DRMK operating system may have been to avoid paying licensing fees to Microsoft, not to add extra DOS functions. DRMK apparently stands for "Dell Real-Mode Kernel".)    Other DOS versions, such as DR-DOS or FreeDOS, may also work just as well here.

The two states of the Utility partition -- sealed and unsealed -- are differentiated by different config.sys and autoexec.bat files. These startup files are designed to automatically follow one of two different scenarios when the partition is booted. The sealed scenario runs the seal.exe program, while the unsealed scenario runs the delldiag.exe program.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Yes thanks for this info - as I have read your posts on this topic  before - still none lead to a clean utility to restore this corrupted section - I'm asking too much for a easy fix - corruption is never an easy fix, heck should have encrypted it  also if they wanted no one to fix it.

SirDrx  Dos here we come.

I see more reference to Utility partition  which is not the " Restore partition" , my utility partition is good  and I have several images of this per machines - Dells DOS I can handle there are many DOS versions  to be had but no  OEM utility to specifically  fix this Dell restore partition - so  DRMK hangs on initialization - interesting note on the partition type codes . I have not checked these may have lost a bit...but  system does initially try to load the DRMK. I want something simple before I have to  manually  bit extract the OEM image and turn it into a boot-able ISO - hacking 101  - so  sorta answered but unsupported by Dell it seems. -

perceived answer: boot to DOS ( pick a ver ) copy image file off someplace some how, rebuild DRMK partition or replace w MyDoS rewrite front end scripts to play nice w seal pgm - stand on one foot and wave a blue feather over the PC say the magic words - 2 days later you get me a straight jacket! I shall try this oh what fun.

What about my Arabic fonts on several misc.tabs in XP - ya seen that one ?

thanks - work in progress.

• The solution to getting your box back to OEM settings  (The feather dance) is:

1) Boot to FC version ( Red Hat )

you will notice  your local HD has 3 partitions :  Utility / OS / Restore @ megs fat/gigs NTFS/4gig fat

2) Mount the 4 gig partition - copy contents to USB then cut to DVD or at once.

Volume should contain - BIN, IMG, BAT,and some other numbered Dirs.

In the BAT directory copy out the restore.bat file, edit out everything in it

except the 3rd line w restore on it. Modify line to point to DVD ./img – research ghost

CLI switches very easy edit. What they don’t tell you is that the RESTORE program

is Ghost ( tied to EULA) and your authorized to use this to rebuild your system and

of course you have backed up everything.

3) format your old C: partition as fat32 ( because Ghost is picky in DOS).

4)boot to FREEDOS ( this is very old school may require a floppy drive ha ha  remember

dos and NTFS don’t play nice ! #3 return) run your new edited bat file or CLI  

restore -clone ..... it will see that large fat32 part and install to it.

your done, reboot ,patchup. your DRMK is still toast  ( who cares ) but

you have all the OEM files on DVD now !!

written by <ADMIN NOTE: Email ID removed per TOU policy> in a straight jacket.

• DSR Versions

There are two basic types of the DSR partition, differing in the operating system to which they boot.

Early types of the DSR partition boot to DOS, a 16-bit operating system.

The later type boots an XP  WinPE 32-bit operating system.

All DSR versions use the FAT32 file system, so the operating system booted has to be FAT32-aware.

The earliest versions of the DSR partition booted to MS-DOS 7.1 (the version of DOS from Windows 98).

Later, Dell began using DRMK, their own variation of DOS. These are 16-bit operating systems.   

(Note to reader: DRMK apparently stands for "Dell Real-Mode Kernel".

The purpose of DRMK may be to avoid paying licensing fees to Microsoft, not to add extra DOS functions.)

When Dell began shipping computers with Ghost 10 preloaded, the DSR partition was changed to WinPE, a 32-bit operating system.   

(Note to reader: PE, or "Preinstallation Environment", is what you boot to if you boot from a Windows 2000 or XP installation CD.)

Find a WIN98SE Startup floppy that has FDISK and format on it.

On a clean drive you boot and make a 100 meg Fat16 dos partition.

You then use PTEDIT to change the partition to be a diag partition.

You then boot this again and run fdisk and make a FAT32 partition up to 80 gigs.

You then BOOT from an XP Install disk and format the 80 gig partition as NTFS.

Then reboot with the win98 dos disk AND fdisk and format AGAIN For the rest of the drive.

Typically this is ABOUT 5 to 10 gigs.  

The diag and restore partitions must be un hidden with ptedit then copied.

Then run DSRFIX to put the drive into normal mode for CTRL F11 factory restore.

Drives in this fashion have a Norton Ghost Image. It won't restore or boot properly if the

100 meg diag partition isnt the 1st partition and the 80 gig or less partition is the 2nd.

ALL OF THESE are limited to 120 gigs due to msdos limits.   Drives larger than 120 gigs

can still use the CTRL F11 method but they contain type 07 partitions and GHOST32 version 10 aka Running on

MINI XP.

Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition - Goodells Net

• The OEM Restore Partition has 2 files to check and reset the DSR partition but they did not like me and failed to automatically fix this part so the Kernel hangs on boot - no time to fritz w dos partitions or dell utilities. One uses the CTRL F11 to restore the box - quickest  restore method with least brain damage - #1 recommend backup IMG dir to DVD -  harddrives die daily then you have no drive to partition !

• Dan Goodall has a program called DSRFIX that repairs these files if you have the partition structure correct.

Dsrfix has so far been tested successfully on the following models:

Dimension 1100, 2400, 3000, 3100, 4550, 4600, 4700, 5000, 5100, 5150, 8200, 8300, 8400, 9100, 9150, B110, E310, E510, E520, E521, XPS 400, XPS 410, XPS 720, XPS Gen 4. Inspiron 500m, 510m, 600m, 630m, 640m, 700m, 1150, 1200, 1300, 1501(AMD), 2200, 5100, 5150, 6000, 6400, 8600, 9300, 9400, B120, B130, E1405, E1505, E1705, M710, M1210, mini-10v, XPS, XPS Gen 2, XPS M1710. Vostro 200.

Dsrfix may work on other models as well, since I think the same DSR scheme is being widely used across the Dimension and Inspiron model lines. Dsrfix has been tested on IDE and SATA disks. It has not been tested with SCSI disks. Testing of RAID systems is ongoing--if you have a RAID system, I would appreciate receiving a Dsrfix dumpfile from your system.

Dsrfix has been tested and found to work on both DOS-style and WinPE-style DSR partitions.

Dsrfix Quick-Start

This section should give you a quick idea how Dsrfix is used. However, be sure to also read the following sections to get a clearer idea of the details and potential pitfalls.

Dsrfix is a DOS program. It does not work in Windows. It does not work in a XP command-prompt window. It does not work in the Windows PE (preinstallation environment) or RE (recovery environment) -- those are not DOS. You need to boot to real DOS. If you need to, check the section below for ways to boot to DOS.

Download dsrfix.zip from www.goodells.net/dellrestore/files/dsrfix.zip. (Updated 08-02-2008, version 3.12)

Extract dsrfix.com from the archive.

(Note to reader: The other files in the archive are supplemental. The only file you need to copy to floppy disk is dsrfix.com.)

Boot from your DOS boot disk.

Run the command "DSRFIX". Review the results to assess whether your system is a good candidate for restoring Dell's DSR feature.

Optional: save a dumpfile before making any changes. This may be useful if you later need the information for forensic reconstruction.

If you decide your system is a good candidate for repairing Dell's DSR feature, rerun Dsrfix with the command "DSRFIX  /F". The program will repeat its summary report, then prompt you to queue any changes to be made. Accept or deny each fix proposed by Dsrfix. After proposals have been queued, confirm whether you want Dsrfix to go ahead and write those changes to your hard disk.

Rerun Dsrfix again for a new report to check the results.

If Dsrfix's report shows no fatal errors and no alerts, the Dell-specific restore feature should be functional on your system. You should see a blue "www.dell.com" banner across the top of the screen when the computer starts to boot. Pressing the Ctrl+F11 keys at that moment should divert the boot process to Dell's custom restore utility.

Dsrfix Command Syntax

Command-line syntax is: DSRFIX   [/D]   [/F]   [/8x]   [/PBR4]

The following case-insensitive command-line switches are available:

/D Forces Dsrfix to dump its sector data to the screen in plain-text format.

/F Directs Dsrfix to fix minor errors (alerts) that it finds. (This switch is ignored if /D is also used.)

/80 Directs Dsrfix to access first hard disk. This is the default if no disk number is entered. Disk numbers follow the bios convention of referencing hard disks, using hexadecimal codes 80-83h.

/81 Directs Dsrfix to access second hard disk.

/82 Directs Dsrfix to access third hard disk.

/83 Directs Dsrfix to access fourth hard disk.

/PBR4 Directs Dsrfix to test for the DSR configuration in the 4th partition instead of the 3rd.

Warning: Normally, the first hard disk is the master disk on the motherboard's primary IDE channel. However, do not count on this! A modern bios may allow the system to boot from alternate hard disks or even a USB device. In that case, the disk numbers will likely be switched around. For example, if you boot from a USB flash drive, the Dell bios identifies the flash drive as disk 80h and the primary hard disk becomes disk 81h. Before using the /F switch, it is crucial to make sure Dsrfix is reading the intended hard disk!

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.shtml

The typical way to boot to real DOS is with a DOS boot floppy. If your system does not have a floppy drive, however, booting from a bootable CD or a bootable flash drive are suitable alternatives. To prepare for the following steps, download the dsrfix.zip archive file and extract dsrfix.com or dsrfixcd.iso.

You may optionally wish to include ptedit.exe from ptedit.zip