Inspiron 570: How to create Factory Restore disc set?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 570: How to create Factory Restore disc set?

This question is answered

With this new Inspiron 570 (Windows 7), I read that Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 has a Factory Restore option which relies on the recovery partition.  But what is the recovery provision for a crashed hard drive?  Can I create a Factory Restore disc set, or is my only option to rebuild from the Windows disk + Drivers + Applications discs?

Verified Answer
  • If you Buy a 16 GIG or Larger USB flash drive you can backup the Entire machine, Diag, Recovery, OS partition.

USB flash will be Bootable and Recover to A blank hard drive should your drive crash.  The only Limitation of this is that

You MUST RECOVER to a drive at LEAST AS LARGE as the one you have now.  If you have a 500 Gig drive then a 500 gig OR LARGER will work but a 330 or 250 will not.   The Data Safe 2.0 USB flash is Bootable.

Article ID : 266301 Date Published : 2009-02-11 Journal ID : bbc7797b-75e0-4e49-9971-b15c8ec352be

Creating a Full System Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

1      Click  then click   All Programs, click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 and click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

2      Click   Back up your files  then select Full System Backup.

3      To backup immediately, click 

Backup Now 

To select the location to backup to, or to schedule regular backups, click  

Edit Plan 

and continue to the next step.

4      Select the location to save your backup to.

You can save your backups to your hard drive, to a rewritable CD/DVD using a CD/DVD burner, or to an external memory device like a 16 Gig Or larger USB memory key or USB hard drive. If an external device you want to save to is not listed, make sure it is plugged in securely then click  

Refresh 

Once your location is selected, click 

Next  

5      To create a backup immediately, select   I will manually backup my system and click 

Next  

To set a backup to be run at a later time, or to schedule a regularly occurring backup, click   Backup my system automatically (recommended) and specify the time and date(s) to run the backup then click 

Next  

6      To change any selections, click 

Back  

If you chose to schedule a recurring backup and would like to start an initial backup now, click   Start this backup now.

Once satisfied with your selections, click

Finish  

Additional Information: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Refer to the following links for additional information on Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0? Article ID: 353560

Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353561

Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353562

Creating a Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353563

Restoring from a Backup Using DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353564

Upgrading To Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Professional Article ID: 353565

Frequently Asked Questions: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353566

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

All Replies
  • If you Buy a 16 GIG or Larger USB flash drive you can backup the Entire machine, Diag, Recovery, OS partition.

USB flash will be Bootable and Recover to A blank hard drive should your drive crash.  The only Limitation of this is that

You MUST RECOVER to a drive at LEAST AS LARGE as the one you have now.  If you have a 500 Gig drive then a 500 gig OR LARGER will work but a 330 or 250 will not.   The Data Safe 2.0 USB flash is Bootable.

Article ID : 266301 Date Published : 2009-02-11 Journal ID : bbc7797b-75e0-4e49-9971-b15c8ec352be

Creating a Full System Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

1      Click  then click   All Programs, click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 and click   Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

2      Click   Back up your files  then select Full System Backup.

3      To backup immediately, click 

Backup Now 

To select the location to backup to, or to schedule regular backups, click  

Edit Plan 

and continue to the next step.

4      Select the location to save your backup to.

You can save your backups to your hard drive, to a rewritable CD/DVD using a CD/DVD burner, or to an external memory device like a 16 Gig Or larger USB memory key or USB hard drive. If an external device you want to save to is not listed, make sure it is plugged in securely then click  

Refresh 

Once your location is selected, click 

Next  

5      To create a backup immediately, select   I will manually backup my system and click 

Next  

To set a backup to be run at a later time, or to schedule a regularly occurring backup, click   Backup my system automatically (recommended) and specify the time and date(s) to run the backup then click 

Next  

6      To change any selections, click 

Back  

If you chose to schedule a recurring backup and would like to start an initial backup now, click   Start this backup now.

Once satisfied with your selections, click

Finish  

Additional Information: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Refer to the following links for additional information on Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0.

What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0? Article ID: 353560

Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353561

Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353562

Creating a Backup Using Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353563

Restoring from a Backup Using DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353564

Upgrading To Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Professional Article ID: 353565

Frequently Asked Questions: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 353566

• So I hadn't overlooked a provision for burning a set of Factory Recovery discs.   There is none.  But thanks, SpeedStep, for a beautiful walk-through of the next best thing.

• If you want to backup more than the factory default you have to upgrade and pay for that.  The initial USB Flash drive backup is free.  Use a quality USB flash drive USB 2.0 Variety.  

I can get these from my local microcenter so they are my favorite.

Extreme Performance Xporter XT Rage 16GB USB Flash Drive PEF16GRUSB Patriot Extreme Performance Xporter XT Rage 16GB USB Flash Drive PEF16GRUSB
    SKU: 838664