Dell BIOS beep codes (2 short beeps)

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell BIOS beep codes (2 short beeps)

This question is answered

Hi,

I have Dell Studio Desktop 540

After powered on my PC beeps two times shortly and then again and again.

Please, explain what it means?

Here: http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/dellbios.htm I didn't find the answer.

Thank you!

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Javajka,

The beep codes are in your manual. Two beeps means your RAM is not detected. Open the case, remove and re-seat the RAM and try restarting.

• Hi Osprey,

Thank you for the answer. Could you point to the link to read for the future?

• Dell™ Studio 540 - Documentation

support.dell.com/.../STD540

Dell™ Technology Guide   Download

Setup Guide   Download

Service Manual  View

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Hi,

I get 2 short beep codes back to back as well. I reseated the memory twice in both dual channel modules. I even tried 6 pairs of DDR2 5300 ram memory modules and the same error code with all memory.

I picked up an error code pci card and I get error code EO. What does EO mean assuming my pci beep code card is accurate?

• What type of memory does this motherboard need?

• joestpaul

Hi,

I get 2 short beep codes back to back as well. I reseated the memory twice in both dual channel modules. I even tried 6 pairs of DDR2 5300 ram memory modules and the same error code with all memory.

I picked up an error code pci card and I get error code EO. What does EO mean assuming my pci beep code card is accurate?

joestpaul

Assuming that you have a Dell Studio Desktop 540 Mini Tower, same as the OP.

Have you installed new memory recently?

First remove and reinstall all the memory modules and try starting the system.

Still does not start, remove all the memory modules, then install only one module in slot 1 and see if the system boots and if the computer starts normally, reinstall an additional module.

Does not boot, move the module to slot 2 and again see if the system boots, no boot, try the module in slot 3, no boot, try installing in slot 4.

Still does not boot, then remove the first module and using the second one, repeat the sequence described above.

Still no boot, try installing any remaining modules, one at a time, using the above procedure.

Continue until you have identified any faulty module [or slot] or reinstalled all modules without error.

Still does not boot, buy a new compatible memory module and try that.

Then if the computer still does not start, it's possible that the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• joestpaul

What type of memory does this motherboard need?

joestpaul

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Hi,

I have a simple question??

My dell 540 desktop beeps at start-up (sounds like 6 times) its pretty quick. Everything seems working 100% and all the PC dell tests I have thrown at it passed. Also starts quickly and w/o fail...

After doing a lot of reading on this, I noticed a mention about unplugging all the USB devices and try it which I did and got zero beeps..............

Does it sound like its ok???

Running win7 64bit Home

Sp1 

JJR,

Inspiron 15R-5520

Win 7 64 Bit

• escorial

Sounds like there is an issue with a peripheral that's connected to an USB port.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001