dell vostro 200 does not start

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

dell vostro 200 does not start

This question is not answered

I have a vostro 200 mini tower, bought new 2 years ago. Recently can't start when I turn it on. No fan running, even the power fan. Monitor looks like it hibernate. The light on the Motherboard is amber. It happened several times. I unplugged, then waited about a minute, plugged in again, it started. But now won't start anymore. I need help! 

All Replies
  • jimmy2310um

Could be a failed power supply.

Remove all the peripherals from the Vostro 200, except the mouse, keyboard and monitor and see if the system boots correctly.

No difference, turn off the Vostro 200, remove power cord and hold power button in for about three minutes, reconnect power cord and power system on and see if this makes a difference.

No difference, try the following, if you are comfortable working around computers:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals and the power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor.  Note: the processor rarely fails.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I have the same exact problem as above.  We travelled on vacation and before leaving, I powered down the computer an unplugged the power cord from the electrical outlet.  The only thing connected to the computer was the network cable through the RJ-45 connector.  We get our internet through the cable company (time warner)  The router was unplugged from the electrical outlet, however, the time warner cable is connected to a cable modem, converted to a network cable (which is plugged into the router) and the router is connected to my computer.  We had a bad storm, but no other applicances / clocks were affected.  I don't "think" the issue was due to the storm.

I have followed the diagnostic troubleshooting for my Vostro 200 above and found the following:

1.) The computer does not power on at all - no fans / nothing except a green light in the back of the computer and an amber light on the motherboard

2.)  I removed the 24-pin power supply connector from the motherboard and jumpered the green wire with another black wire.  When I plug the electrical cord back to the computer, the hard drive appears to be running, but neither fan is working.

I am not sure what this means.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, we would prefer to purchase a new computer (instead of buying a new part for our existing computer); however, we need to get some of the data from the hard drive.  I am not sure if this plays into your recommended response. 

Thanks!

• udflyerfan9498

Are there any 'Beeps'?

What colour is the power button light, is it solid, or blinking?

The amber LED is the motherboard's 'Standby' Power Light, aka 'Flea Power', that only indicates that +5VFP power is reaching the motherboard, not that the power supply has not failed.

I had the same thing happen this year, during an overnight storm, it cost us a new router that was hard wired to the desktop's RJ-45, plus a new motherboard and RAM.  Since that happened, I changed the home network to wireless.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Hello Shesagordie,

When I plug the power cord into the computer there is not color on the front panel power button, there are no beeps from the PC.

The power button on the front has no color (off).  The green power button in the back (next to the PC plug) is green.

Great idea on the wireless (no wired connections) - only problem is speed; however, if it saves the PC - it is worth it.

Thanks for the help!

• udflyerfan9498

As the power button light is not lite and there are no 'Beeps', try installing a 'known' working PSU first, as you need a known working unit to test the motherboard, etc,.

For the Vostro 200 Mini Tower, most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Or, you could buy a Dell OEM 300w refurbished unit [aka used] from here:

http://www.discountelectronics.com/product?gclid=CMaB28jcyboCFfFj7AodU2sA3w&product_id=2780&product_model=104

Yes, there is a slight reduction in speed, but personally I really don't notice it, all the computers in the house have always been physically disconnected from the power outlets at night, or when there's no one around the house, except for the router.  I'm living in hope that a wireless network solves the issue, this is the first time 12 years it's happened and I found it most aggravating.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001