XPS 8300 2 BEEPS WONT BOOT

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS 8300 2 BEEPS WONT BOOT

This question is not answered

Im having a problem with a XPS 8300... The system wont boot... It just beeps (2) times... I have checked power supply HD optical RAM... It seems the 2 beeps points to the RAM, however the ram is installed fine... I have also tired brand new ram... Still nothing just (2) beeps..

Any ideas?

Thanks.

All Replies
  • Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Install one stick of OLD RAM in the slot closest to the CPU, leaving the other slots empty

Remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!)

See if it boots now.

Then swap all of the old RAM modules into slot 1 to see if you can identify a bum module.

EDIT: Always power off, unplug, etc. before swapping RAM modules.

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Thank you Ron for the quick reply... I have tired the steps, still no luck. Always (2) beeps... I even tired installing new ram. I also tired the factory reset.. Pulled all sata connections Still (2) beeps... It should be noted that the PCI E video card was removed from this system before

• If it's under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for possible replacement of the motherboard.

If you're in the mood, repeat the RAM swapping exercise using slot 2 instead of slot 1, and then slot 3, if it still won't boot with RAM in slot 2,  to see if you can ID a bum memory slot.

NOTE: Dell PCs are very notoriously fussy about RAM even when the specs appear to be correct. So I'd be cautious about testing with that new RAM since you don't know for certain if it would work, assuming everything else was ok.

Good luck!

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Hi! I wonder if you fixed it, because am having the same issue...plz help!

• Hi,

It was the mother board, it was toast.

Hopefully you dont have the same problem as me.