Dell GX280 Loud Fan Noise + No boot :(

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell GX280 Loud Fan Noise + No boot :(

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hey, i just cleaned my Computer because i taught it had to much dust. Was working fine before just had a loud fan noise so i decided to open it up and take the fan out and clean it. Which i did. Also Cleaned the CPU.Used Compressed air to clean out dust. After cleaning it i put it all back like it was. Closed it and turned it on. Once i pushed the Power Button after 5seconds the Fan Started to get louder and louder til it went MAX SPEED. SUPER LOUD + there was no DISPLAY on my monitor.. So i don't know what happened? Also, ive been searching around and they said something about a Thermal Paste? the stuff on the bottom of the CPU right?

So does anyone know what happened or a sloution? 

Thanks

All Replies
  • Did you remove the heat sink from the top of the CPU? if you did and you did not clean off the old stuff and reapply new TP then you may have damaged the CPU.  

Also which version of the computer do you have.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• we took off the cooling fan and the heat sink.Then Under the heat sink is the scratched Thermal Paste? Also we tried switching the Fan,Heat-sink,and CPU and same thing :(

and its a GX280 Slim ?

• so we were suppose to put new TP on it ? We were planning just to clean the dust off it only...

• Yes you definably need to clean and reapply the paste. What at the rear panel diagnostic lights.  Looking at the pictures HERE which one looks like yours

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card

Forum member since 2003

• ok ill buy some . its the small desktop one. what about the rear panel diagnostic lights?

• watch the lights and report as to how they finish . You can look HERE for the codes

Forum member since 2003

• these "Lights" are next to the USB ports correct?

• also is this paste good?

www.ebay.com/.../330608520608

• Yes the lights are on the back of the computer next to the USB ports.  Around here we generally recommend Arctic Silver as the paste of choice.

Forum member since 2003

• well then none of the lights turned on.? i turned it on and heard the FAN coming on then got really noisy . But no lights on the back :(

would u say with this TP it will fix it , Perhaps?

• Well at this point it is not looking good. I would make sure that if your removed the CPU that you reinstalled it correctly and didn't damage any of the pins or such on the CPU or the socket.

Forum member since 2003

• yea im going to examine that.....

• Hmm, I have a friends GX280 computer that he gave me with the same problem me problem to look at. It was working fine and all of the sudden it will not post and fan goes to max speed. I see in the forum that  this problem has been reported before back in 2011 (Posted by Yoshistr on 01-13-2011 8:26 PM - Dell GX280 Won't POST/BOOT - the computer would not post and only turn the main heat sink fan (only fan) on which would continuously increase until it hit max speed).

Like everyone, I assume it's a thermal problem, so open the case and turn the computer on with the case open to see if the heat pipes on the heat sink are getting hot (heat is being transferred)  and like magic, it posts fine and runs fine for an hour with no issues. I close the case, no problem, things continue run fine. CPU fan works "normally".

Problem solved?  No. Next restart of of the system, no post and runaway fan. Open the case, it posts and boots.  OK, what the.... Look and there's a push button switch that is activated when the case is shut. Hold the switch in with case open, no post and runaway fan. Case open with the switch left alone, post, boot, and run fine.

So this is NOT a thermal problem and the fact that it just started all the sudden but the system is really 100% functional indicates some switch/sensor has gone bad and is confusing whatever the BIOS is doing at power on. No more time at the moment to mess with this, but time to find some technical info on this model.

• This is one of the now infamous models that had Bad Capacitors.

Dell Optiplex GX280 Capacitor Kit
    Dell Optiplex GX280 Capacitor Kit

Photos showing Dell's Optiplex GX270 and Optiplex GX280 with defective capacitors have been widely reported on Web sites such as Badcaps.net, PowerEdgeForums.com. Pictures of other faulty capacitors have been spotted on Apple's own discussion boards, MacOSG.com, and G5Support.com.

You can inspect a cap to determine if it is bad visually  and otherwise. If it has the indications of swelling, brown ooze, domed top, brown ooze at the bottom, it gets VERY HOT to the touch.    You may also hear of Capacitors described by the cuts on the top aka X or T or K or Y.

warrantypartsdirect.dell.com/.../T1910000.ASP

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280

Out of Warranty Support Program

Dell™ will provide OUT OF WARRANTY coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008, whichever comes first.

Customers with qualifying out of warranty systems may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 for service. Affected parts dispatched through Dell Technical Support will not be eligible for labor reimbursement. Note, WPD customers with affected systems still UNDER WARRANTY may continue to contact WPD as usual for warranty coverage.

For Systems Under Warranty

Contact Warranty Parts Direct as usual for part replacement coverage per the existing Warranty Service contract.

For Systems Out of Warranty

If an OUT OF WARRANTY desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors and is still within the time period described below, customers may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 to have the motherboard replaced at no charge per Dell's Next Business Day service coverage program.

The motherboard replacement program is valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008, whichever occurs first. Systems that fall outside the motherboard replacement offer terms may be repaired under Dell's Out of Warranty service program.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• I did some research and saw the capacitor issue along with a slew of other motherboard problems for the GX280 that also included mechanical issues, which is what mine has. The run away fan seems to be a symptom of any problem that prevents the MB from starting to post, so really has nothing to do with the problem.  I assume whatever controls fan speed requires the MB to post to keep it from throttling up to warp speed.  

For my GX280 the case switch scenario was a coincidence which disappeared the next time I touched it. After playing a bit more the real issue is a mechanical connection somewhere on the MB. It will not post 100% of the time (4 status lights never come on) if I just hit the power button. However, I can get it to post 90+% of the time by applying a fair amount of pressure, enough to visibly cause the MB to flex, to the CPU heat sink assembly before hitting the power button. Once the machine posts I can remove the pressure and the computer runs flawlessly until I turn it back off. Then it will not post. I did pull and reinstall the processor, re-seat all connectors, ..., just for kicks but that had no effect.

The bottom line is that the GX280s (this particular model) has many MB issues that have drove lot's of folks nuts. For a computer of this vintage, the best thing is to salvage any reusable parts and call it a day.