Question about hard drive in Inspiron 620

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Question about hard drive in Inspiron 620

This question is not answered

I'm receiving a new Inspiron 620 MT, and the packing slip lists the hard drive as "Module,Hard Drive,1TB,7.2K,SGT-PHAR 6G." What does "SGT-PHAR 6G" mean?

I also see this listed: "Software,Dell Connect 2.1,Dell Americas OrganizationEMEA,Brazil Customer Center." What exactly is this?

Thanks.

All Replies
  • Hi Clouldeleven,

"SGT-PHAR 6G" must be some sort of model designation.

Dell Connect is a support tool used by Dell.

Good luck with the new desktop!

• Could it mean Seagate 6 Gb/sec?

• Hard Drive 1TB 7 2K SGT-PHAR 6G

Model ST1000DM003 1 TB 64MB

EMEA is Dell Emerging Countries aka NON USA

Its marketing.  This drive is not a Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD1CCA

Sustained Sequential Read:Up to 500 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)
    Sustained Sequential Write:Up to 260 MB/s (SATA 6Gb/s)
    4KB Random Read:Up to 45,000 IOPS
    4KB Random Write:Up to 50,000 IOPS
    Power Consumption (Active):0.28W
    Power Consumption (Idle):< 100 mW

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• I also bought this same configuration, and this hard drive is mounted very loosely, so there is a loud virbation from it. Dell says "go to radioshack and get rubber mounts". They don't carry them and I don't seem to be able to find them. Probably not looking in the right place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

• Hi Johck,

WOW! That's annoying. And Dell tells you to go buy rubber mounts?

Did you see if you are able to tighten the screws or brackets? I think there is a screw holding each bracket to the case, and two screws holding each bracket to the drive.

• " What exactly is this?"

I have been wondering the same thing.  This drive is keeping my "Windows Experience Index" @ 5.9, everything else is in the 7.? something range.

Curious that this question is unanswered.  If you look the part number up here on Dell = H652R all it says is:

DELL

1 TB 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive for Select Dell Alienware / Inspiron / OptiPlex / Studio / Vostro / XPS Laptops / Precision WorkStation Desktop

Manufacturer Part# VMVCW

Dell Part# 342-1012

Spindle Speed: 7200 rpm

Guess that means it is a Dell manufactured hard drive - perhaps built in an emerging country like Brazil?  SGT would lead one to think Seagate, apparently not.  Well it's been working perfectly for three years.  Whoever built it did a good job.

• daemoncycler

" What exactly is this?"

I have been wondering the same thing.  This drive is keeping my "Windows Experience Index" @ 5.9, everything else is in the 7.? something range.

Curious that this question is unanswered.  If you look the part number up here on Dell = H652R all it says is:

DELL

1 TB 7200 RPM Serial ATA Hard Drive for Select Dell Alienware / Inspiron / OptiPlex / Studio / Vostro / XPS Laptops / Precision WorkStation Desktop

Manufacturer Part# VMVCW

Dell Part# 342-1012

Spindle Speed: 7200 rpm

Guess that means it is a Dell manufactured hard drive - perhaps built in an emerging country like Brazil?  SGT would lead one to think Seagate, apparently not.  Well it's been working perfectly for three years.  Whoever built it did a good job.

daemoncycler

7200rpm hard drives usually only give a Index 5.9 reading, if you want a better Windows Experience Index reading, install SSD hard drives.

Dell does not manufacture any hard drives, they use the makes/brands that you can buy retail. Sometimes the hard drives are rebadged with the Dell name, especially the refurbished drives.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• My 128gb SSD is a 7.9. The 2tb "green" 5400RPM conventional hard drive is a 5.9.

• shesagordie

7200rpm hard drives usually only give a Index 5.9 reading, if you want a better Windows Experience Index reading, install SSD hard drives.

Dell does not manufacture any hard drives, they use the makes/brands that you can buy retail. Sometimes the hard drives are rebadged with the Dell name, especially the refurbished drives.

Bev.

The Solid State info is good - thanks for that.

daemoncycler

• I've used the Microcenter Brand and the INTEL Brand SSD's.

The INTEL Drives tend to have more tools, software, instructions, brackets, adapters etc than the generic drives which come in a white box with a tiny piece of paper indicating warranty.

The Fastest Drive I have was a 512 Gig Crucial M4 but it was almost $800.

The Microcenter Drive was $79 -64 Gig and the INTEL Drive was $249 -120 Gig.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• daemoncycler

shesagordie

Bev.

The Solid State info is good - thanks for that.

daemomcycler

daemoncycler

You are welcome.

I installed a Crucial Adrenaline SSD solution, in one of my desktops, while it did speed IE up, not one iota of difference was made to the WEI 5.9 hard drive reading.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread, but - 

Actually decided to start a thread of my own re: Which SSD for XPS 435 MT.

thanks,

daemoncycler