Dimension 3000 - compatibility with Windows 7 - video driver

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dimension 3000 - compatibility with Windows 7 - video driver

This question is answered

Hello,

I see that it is NOT possible to change the resolution  from my screen using the driver " video Graphics Chip 865Gr Accelerated VGA", since I installed Windows 7 on my Desktop Dell Dimension 3000.

I have a very low reolution now and I can NOT change to a higher resolution.

What can I do?

Best thanks,

JLD

Verified Answer
  • Dell does not support Vista or Windows 7 on the 3000, so there is no video driver available from Dell.  If Windows cannot find a driver you will have to install a separate compatible video card.  The bus type in the 3000 is PCI (NOT PCIeX16) and the power supply is rated at 250 watts.  You will have to find a PCI, low power type video card that is Vista/Windows 7 compatible.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• You can attempt to install the Windows XP Video Drivers.

Download them and run the installer so they extract to C:\Dell\Drivers

Highlight your video device (got an audio device here as an example) that doesn't have a driver, note it may have a yellow ? and just be in a different place if windows doesn't know its for Video. May just say generic video.

Right click the device and select update driver software.

Browse your computer for the driver software

Type C:\Dell\Drivers\R106458 and then press next. Repeat for C:\Dell\Drivers\R96001

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Buddy.

Of course it's possible. It's all about compatability. Many people don't know and just talk! Very easy.

Just right click on the video drive, and go to properties, select compatability tab and select win xp pac 3 or 2. save it! Now open the same drive as administrator or with compatability and bingo! Restart computer.

All Replies
  • Dell does not support Vista or Windows 7 on the 3000, so there is no video driver available from Dell.  If Windows cannot find a driver you will have to install a separate compatible video card.  The bus type in the 3000 is PCI (NOT PCIeX16) and the power supply is rated at 250 watts.  You will have to find a PCI, low power type video card that is Vista/Windows 7 compatible.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• You can attempt to install the Windows XP Video Drivers.

Download them and run the installer so they extract to C:\Dell\Drivers

Highlight your video device (got an audio device here as an example) that doesn't have a driver, note it may have a yellow ? and just be in a different place if windows doesn't know its for Video. May just say generic video.

Right click the device and select update driver software.

Browse your computer for the driver software

Type C:\Dell\Drivers\R106458 and then press next. Repeat for C:\Dell\Drivers\R96001

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

• Buddy.

Of course it's possible. It's all about compatability. Many people don't know and just talk! Very easy.

Just right click on the video drive, and go to properties, select compatability tab and select win xp pac 3 or 2. save it! Now open the same drive as administrator or with compatability and bingo! Restart computer.

• An alternative is to upgrade the video card to a Windows 7-compatible card like the Zotac GT610 PCI.

•  The verified post stating that you cannot install video drivers for the dell 3000 using windows 7 is incorrect. It can be done using the instructions posted by natakuc4. I just tried it and it works perfectly. 

• Good to know, as it keeps down the cost of upgrading one of these marginal old veterans. However, niceties like the Aero user interface and streaming video acceleration won't be available, as the onboard 'Intel Extreme 2' graphics don't support them.

• thanks