New hard drive installation on Dell 630i XPS W Vista OS

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

New hard drive installation on Dell 630i XPS W Vista OS

This question is answered

Greetings all,  My 630i needs a new sata hard drive according to the dell hardware testers smart short test.  Have new larger drive now from Dell and have not installed it yet. Before I start my question is.. will I need to reinstall the Vista OS?  If so, how to proceed as I did not recive a Vista disk with my system. Got a Dell DEVICE DRIVERS disk, and a NVIDA GRAPHIC drivers disk, but no Vista. Customer service told me there would be instructions with the new hard drive but there were none,  Got the instructions from the Dell site for installing the new HD hardware printed out but unshure about if an OS disk will be needed. Any sugestions?

Verified Answer
  • sprink417

Yes, you will need the Dell Vista reinstallation DVD.

If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may make a charge for the disc.

If you don't reside in the US, contact Dell's Technical Support that's located in your country. 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

All Replies
  • sprink417

Yes, you will need the Dell Vista reinstallation DVD.

If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may make a charge for the disc.

If you don't reside in the US, contact Dell's Technical Support that's located in your country. 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks, I put in a request for the dvds for my system. Lucky I still had the needed numbers as my system is 4 years old now. I will post the results when I hear fron Dell

• sprink417

Yes

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• I have heard from Dell's support allready and they are going to send me the disks that are needed in 3-5 days.

The dispatch details are given below:

1. CDs included in the dispatch:

1. Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit DVD. (For reinstalling Windows)

2. Resource DVD. (For reinstalling the drivers)

3. Roxio Software CD. (For burning CDs)            

4. Cyberlink Power DVD Software DVD (For reading DVDs)

I call this excelent suport service. Also they gave me links to all the information needed to do the reinstall. I have NO complaints. It was more than I expected and quicker than I expected.  Sprink417

• sprink417

WOW, that is excellent service, Dell should be congratulated for it.  Big Smile

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Yes,.. I got the CD's today, just a day later.  Expeceted a hassel but got really good service.