Ethernet orange light on a Dell Dimension 4600

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Ethernet orange light on a Dell Dimension 4600

This question is not answered

I'm trying to start using my grandmothers old Dell Dimension 4600, but when I plug in the ethernet cable, the light near the port turns orange! It will not go online I even tried connecting a cable from my laptop to the internet port but nothing works! I can't do any online updates on the Dell, but i can download it from disks! I have empty disks sitting around if i need to put anything on it.

All Replies
  • Your post is a  tad bit confusing. The light on the ethernet port is supposed to light up indicating a active connection. There should also be one on the other side of the connector that blinks indicating the computer is attempting to communicate.

Now exactly how are you connecting the computer with the cable. The cable should connect from your router or modem to the computer.

Also open up device manager and look for any listing with either a ? ! or X next to them.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003