Dell Optiplex 755 USFF upgrade to E8400?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Optiplex 755 USFF upgrade to E8400?

This question is answered

Greetings!

I have a Dell Optiplex 755 USFF that I would like to upgrade. According to some techspecs that I found on the Dell site this particular flavor of 755 can support up to an E6850 (65nm). I would like to use the E8400 Wolfdale ( its' 45nm counterpart with the same clock and fsb, but more cache) since I believe it will also run cooler in the small confines of the USFF case. Although not officially supported on the techspec list I found, I see that on both the Dell Financial Services Site and the Dell Auction Site this same configuration is offered in multiple units with the E8400 installed. Can I take this as a confirmation that it would be OK to upgrade to the E8400 in the Opti 755 USFF? Thanks!

PS I already have the E8400 in another mobo so it is not a matter of which to get, only on whether I can use the E8400 in the 755 USFF. If I cannot use the E8400 then I will just keep the current cpu in place, but I'd really like to upgrade using the E8400 if it is possible. The mobo currently has the A11 Bios.

Verified Answer
  • The E8400 is supported by the Q35 chipset on the 755, which isn't always enough alone to make it work, but together with the facts that 1) the E8400 was launched about 6 months after the processors on the documented "supported" list, and presumably after that doc was published, and 2) systems are configured out there with that CPU would lead me to say that the E8400 will work in the 755.

www.dell.com/.../opti_755_techspecs.pdf

The latest BIOS version is A21, and while none of them from A12-A21 mention anything about CPU support ... if you have any problems, that would be the first thing to look at, as some undocumented support may have been added.

• The only harm in trying the swap is damaging some internal part during the swap.  There is no harm in trying the processor at BIOS version A11 - the worst that will happen is your system won't POST (black screen, etc.) until you do update it (provided there is even undocumented code addressing processor compatibility), or change it back.  Of course, under warranty, there's no harm in updating the BIOS either, in the extremely unlikely event that the BIOS flash goes bad.

• Yes, the BIOS will work on all of the flavors of 755 Desktop, Mini Tower, USFF, SFF, etc... I think when you were searching by your Service Tag, it was only giving the "Recommended" updates for your system, not updates that may have been Optional, such as the BIOS's greater than A19

• avibber56

Yes, the BIOS will work on all of the flavors of 755 Desktop, Mini Tower, USFF, SFF, etc... I think when you were searching by your Service Tag, it was only giving the "Recommended" updates for your system, not updates that may have been Optional, such as the BIOS's greater than A19

The drivers area has been hozed for quite some time.

A22 is the latest bios been out a few weeks.

There is no such thing as USFF version of the bios.  The bios is for all models.

http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER01133147M/1/O755-A22.exe

1/3/2013 9:40 PM 2247144 O755-A22.exe

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

All Replies