Dell Support Center 3.0 Fails to install (error -29)

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Support Center 3.0 Fails to install (error -29)

This question is not answered

I have 2 Dell Inspiron 531 Desktop machines. I have recently upgraded both from Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit (custom upgrades).

On the first, I was able to download and install Dell Support Center 3.0. On the second, the download fails with "Failed to download the software - error -29".

I cannot understand why one works and one fails. The machines are almost identical. I have tried all the recommendations of clearing any traces of PCDR etc. but to no avail.

Unlike many users I like to run DSC from time to time, it really is a useful application. I have spent many hours trying to resolve this and am still contemplating a complete rebuild using the Vista restore discs and Windows 7 custom upgrade just to see if I can get DSC to work.

Would appreciate any feedback on my first post to the Dell Community Forum.

All Replies
  • The error code -29 indicates that the platform is not supported. 

DSC is for Specific Models.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Speedstep - many thanks for your reply. Both Inspiron 531 machines had Dell Support Center installed when they were running Vista 32. After upgrade to Windows 7 64, one happily installed DSC, the other didn't.

Do you know what the installer looks for to determine if it a suitable machine? Is there a registry setting that can be set in order for the installer to work?

• It could be as simple as the Microsoft Extortion Issue.

Extortion (also called shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a microsoft  policy which occurs when a person changes from 32 bit to 64 bit windows, the vendor refuses to pay $$$$ Microsoft to Certify its Drivers and therefore they DO NOT RUN. I euphemistically call this protection payments to microsoft.

32 bit windows could excuse unsigned drivers.

64 bit windows WILL NOT LOAD unsigned drivers.

You can F8 boot and turn this feature off but I am not aware of an easy way to shut this off.

In the past I've tried two things:

1. I've used the F8 boot option to allow unsigned drivers (didn't work)

2. I run a CMD as administrator and execute the following two commands

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

and rebooted. My desktop shows me in "TestMode" but still I get same problem with unsigned drivers not loading.

may be able to shed some light on this.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Speedstep - I really appreciate the detailed response. I shall try the above steps in the near future.

I guess I am as interested in knowing why it won't install as much as I am in getting DSC working. The affected Inspiron 531 is 5 years old, Windows 7 is working fine (as far as I can tell) so if I don't get DSC working it's not the end of the world.

I may still consider rebuilding the PC (reinstalling Vista 32 and then custom upgrading to Windows 64 just to see if it resolves it). I assume it will not be an issue if I activate the same Windows 64 key again (same hardware)?

• ImNoGenius
    I assume it will not be an issue if I activate the same Windows 64 key again (same hardware)?

No.  No issues reactivating on the same hardware.  In fact, activation "may" be automatic if you use the Dell DVD that came with the system.