can inspiron 580 have memory up to 16 GB or 32 GB ? - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

can inspiron 580 have memory up to 16 GB or 32 GB ?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

can inspiron 580 have memory up to 16 GB or 32 GB ?

This question has been answered by nurhidayat

I am graphic designer, and I have Inspiron 580, with pros core i-3, with OS Win & 64-bit, so :

1. How can upgrade memory up to 16 HB or 32 GB ?

2. Does it's must upgrade pros to core i-5 ?

Tq

Verified Answer
  • According to all documentation, 8GB (4x2GB) is the max, as it apparently does not support 4GB or 8GB DIMM's - I would not count on it.

support.dell.com/.../cs_en.pdf (usually not updated when larger support is added)

www.crucial.com/.../listparts.aspx (usually updated when larger support is added)

Larger memory support is not documented in any of the BIOS updates for the 580, so there is no indication that more than 8GB is supported.

The memory controller on the i3 supports 16GB and the controller on the i5/i7 supports 32GB, so it is possible that it will see and be able to use more, but you usually need the BIOS' cooperation for it to work - many OEM (and even retail) boards do not support the maximum memory amount supported by the memory controller (be it on the board or on the processor).

• tq for information

All Replies
  • According to all documentation, 8GB (4x2GB) is the max, as it apparently does not support 4GB or 8GB DIMM's - I would not count on it.

support.dell.com/.../cs_en.pdf (usually not updated when larger support is added)

www.crucial.com/.../listparts.aspx (usually updated when larger support is added)

Larger memory support is not documented in any of the BIOS updates for the 580, so there is no indication that more than 8GB is supported.

The memory controller on the i3 supports 16GB and the controller on the i5/i7 supports 32GB, so it is possible that it will see and be able to use more, but you usually need the BIOS' cooperation for it to work - many OEM (and even retail) boards do not support the maximum memory amount supported by the memory controller (be it on the board or on the processor).

• tq for information