Inspiron 350s Won't start, 4 beeps

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 350s Won't start, 4 beeps

This question is answered

Hi everybody! Last night I was on my computer and all of a sudden my screen went blue. It said there may be a problem with a drive and that I should shut down and restart. When I shut down, it won't turn back on. The fan blows constantly and there is a beep code of 4 short beeps. My screen will not come on either. I don't do anything fancy on my computer and I haven't tried to add or remove any memory or crack open any covers, so I'm not sure what caused it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Verified Answer
  • 4 beeps, according to the Dell beep chart I have, is a memory problem.  Possibly a memory module failure. 

First step, with the PC powered off is to "reseat" the memory modules (remove then reinstall).  Be careful and handle the memory modules by the edges only as the memory chips are static sensitive.  Touch a metal part of the case before you touch the modules.

If that doesn't fix it, remove all but one memory module and try that.  If it works then one of the other modules is bad.  If it still does not work, try one of the other modules.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• srl506

I assume that you have an Inspiron 530s, as Dell does not have a Inspiron 350s listed.

Four 'Beeps' indicate a memory issue.

First try opening the case, remove and reinstall all the memory modules and see if this makes a difference

What is the reading of the power button bi-colour LED, Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

Have you made any changes to the Inspiron 530s recently?

The Inspiron 530s Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• You both are brilliant! Thanks so much! :)

All Replies
  • 4 beeps, according to the Dell beep chart I have, is a memory problem.  Possibly a memory module failure. 

First step, with the PC powered off is to "reseat" the memory modules (remove then reinstall).  Be careful and handle the memory modules by the edges only as the memory chips are static sensitive.  Touch a metal part of the case before you touch the modules.

If that doesn't fix it, remove all but one memory module and try that.  If it works then one of the other modules is bad.  If it still does not work, try one of the other modules.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• srl506

I assume that you have an Inspiron 530s, as Dell does not have a Inspiron 350s listed.

Four 'Beeps' indicate a memory issue.

First try opening the case, remove and reinstall all the memory modules and see if this makes a difference

What is the reading of the power button bi-colour LED, Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

Have you made any changes to the Inspiron 530s recently?

The Inspiron 530s Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• You both are brilliant! Thanks so much! :)