Forums

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 530 will not boot

This question is not answered
My Dell Inspiron 530 will not boot up. When I press the power button, the computer will start up the fans, a blue light will come on, then off. This repeats until one beep, and a Dell logo comes up. The logo is filled with dots, if I try to go into the BIOS option (revision 1.0.3) the words are all messed up and random Charachters are in the words. Then ,I see a screen that says system repair, which I've tried many times, and start windows normally. If I select start windows normally (windows 7 32bit). Nothing happens. Please help!
All Replies
  • swishinj

One 'Beep' could be a possible motherboard failure.

The Inspiron 530 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Codes are HERE.

First check that all the cables are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button and shows no sign if life it would appear that the motherboard has died, and/or maybe the processor.  Note: The processor rarely fails.

The only method I know of checking a checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• That beep has always happened right before the Dell screen.