Dell T3500 Blinking Amber 1-3 (4x) issue

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell T3500 Blinking Amber 1-3 (4x) issue

This question is answered

I have a problem with my Dell Precision T3500, the issue is that whenever I try to start the computer the power button it blinks amber 4 times and gives the number code 1 and 3 however it does turn on after a while. I assumed that it was something to do with the motherboard hwoever I am not sure since there isn't many problems like this on the internet where I could find a solution. I looked in the manual and the closest thing I could find was that it was a PSU or PSU cable problem. If anyone has a solution or answer for this I would be very grateful. The T3500 currently has a Nvidia GTX 260 installed with 4GB of ram. In addition if it is a PSU problem could you please list what PSU are compatible with the T3500 such as a T5500 PSU or a T7400. Thank you for your support.

Verified Answer
  • I hope your machine is still under warranty :)  I've had this happen to 5 of my T3500s.  The fix is a new power supply.  Each time they've sent out the power supply, they've also sent out a new motherboard.  I think there's obviously a big problem with the power supplies in these T3500s, as each one from our initial purchase has had the same issue (we have a bunch of newer ones that haven't shown the problem, at least not yet).

Each time it happens I request that the tech person try to make this a known issue (and perhaps trigger some kind of extended warranty/recall), but so far no progress there....

Leaving it unplugged for a bit seems to fix it temporarily, but then we're scared to turn the machines back off.

All Replies