Dimension 3000 Won't Boot Up Past Dell Screen

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dimension 3000 Won't Boot Up Past Dell Screen

This question is answered

Blue screen error code 0x0000007E (0XC0000005,0x82F1BBCB,0xF8B2369C,0xF8B23398) comes up everytime before windows boots. Tried in safe mode and same thing thing happens. Searched the archives for this specific error sequence but no luck. Do not want to lose data on the HD. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Windows XP SP 2 or 3

Verified Answer
  • Didn't get any more feedback here so I went ahead and bought a ide/sata to usb converter and extracted my data off desktop drive to laptop. (Had to change ownership rights to access documents from old user profile.) This cleared up some memory then I ran a disk check to fix any errors. Re-booted in desktop CPU and now everything is fine.

All Replies
  • This can be a lot of things, doing a google search.  First thing to do, with the PC powered off, is to reseat (unplug then plug back in) the memory modules and if you have a separate video card reseat that.  Then try booting.

If you have the Dell diagnostics on the hard drive, accessed by F12 at POST (Power On Self Test), run the diagnostics to see if anything shows up.

A hard drive failure or at least a corruption is also something to consider.  Apparently you have never backed up your system or at least the user data - and this is a good lesson on doing backups - not for IF you will ever need it but for WHEN you will need it.  A Windows XP Repair MAY fix any Windows or hard drive corruptions, you need to boot from your Windows XP disc but select Repair instead of install.  Repair will not delete any user data. 

Drivers may be an issue too, but if you can't get booted that would tend to lessen that as the problem.

As there are so many possibilities, start with the easiest thing and work for there.  There is no "one fix" for the 7E failure. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• MikeH2011

See if the solutions for a 0x0000007E error HERE can help.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks for the suggestions. I reseated both the memory modules and the hard drive, as well as cleaned out all the dust inside the case. Then I tried to boot up and same error message appears right after windows icon. Only difference is now I can't get into safe mode screen at all. Now after pressing F8 or F12 at dell splash screen it just goes to a blank dark screen. I have Windows XP CD but not sure how to boot from the disk at this point to attempt a repair.

I do remember that computer was running low on memory prior to this happening so maybe that is the cause? If so, anyway to fix this or increase it without being able to boot?

If no other suggestions to repair what would I need in order to connect the hard drive (seagate 7200.7) into my laptop to extract the data? I'm only moderately tech savvy so any specific info would be very helpful. Thanks again in advance.

• Didn't get any more feedback here so I went ahead and bought a ide/sata to usb converter and extracted my data off desktop drive to laptop. (Had to change ownership rights to access documents from old user profile.) This cleared up some memory then I ran a disk check to fix any errors. Re-booted in desktop CPU and now everything is fine.