XPS 8000 Blinking Amber light + 6 beeps

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 8000 Blinking Amber light + 6 beeps

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi all, I hope someone can help.  Last night a lightning storm came through and afterwords I discovered my computer had powered off.   When I tried to power it back on all I got was a blinking amber light with 6 beeps.  Anybody know what this means and what I need to to do fix it?

I have a XPS Studio 8000 desktop.

thx!

XPS 8000 owner...

All Replies
  • Flashing Amber means damage to power supply and or CPU.

If the power light is blinking amber –

The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).

Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Thx, but what about the 6 beeps?  Any idea what that means? thx!

• Damaged system board.

Try taking out your RAM & powering on the system; if you get no beeps then you have a bad system board.

What is the beep series like? Is it 1-2-3, 3-3, 1-1-4, etc?

XPS 720 Red/Silver ATX mod - Core i7-3770k, 8GB Kingston HyperX, 128GB Kingston SSD, 500GB+2x1TB Seagate, PNY GTX 650
    S2230M 21.5" 1080p LED monitor

Dell Rockstar Member 2011-2012
    Feel free to call me 
    Greggers

Other: iPhone 5S, iPad Air, Mac mini

• The beeps are consistant beeps.  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.   I think I found my answer though unless some knows something more.  I found the XPS 8000 set up manual and it states...

"Beep Codes: Your computer might emit a series of beeps dudring start-up if there are errors or problems. This series of beeps, called a beep code, identifies a problem.  6 beeps = Possible Problem to Video card or chip failure"

• That's possible. If your system has a dedicated graphics card take it out & use just the integrated one. Or if it's integrated you'll need to get a dedicated card to test it.

XPS 720 Red/Silver ATX mod - Core i7-3770k, 8GB Kingston HyperX, 128GB Kingston SSD, 500GB+2x1TB Seagate, PNY GTX 650
    S2230M 21.5" 1080p LED monitor

Dell Rockstar Member 2011-2012
    Feel free to call me 
    Greggers

Other: iPhone 5S, iPad Air, Mac mini