XPS 8300 - Ethernet controller driver

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS 8300 - Ethernet controller driver

This question is answered

Hi there,

maybe one of you guys can help me figuring out this problem:

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 (64bit, Home premium) on my XPS 8300, since I have just put in a SSD and wanted to start from scratch with it. Everything went fine, except for one thing: in device manager the ethernet controller does complain it doesn't have a driver installed... The chipset utility and all the other drivers from Dell for the XPS are installed, though.

My system does not have WLAN, so I'm stuck without network on that machine...

Does anyone have an idea to fix this?

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Try this

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R282233&SystemID=XPS_8300&servicetag=&os=W764&osl=en&deviceid=23194&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=5&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=5&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=Hard-Drive&source=-1&fileid=417257

This is the direct link for the XPS 8300  LAN driver from the Dell site.  Pop this on a flash drive and install on your xps 8300. 

I have also often used the driver update utility at the Intel site for my XPS 8300 (here downloadcenter.intel.com   however,for the scan to run, you of course need a functional network connection on the target system.

• That's the one. Thanks a lot for your quick help!

Actually this driver is also on my XPS Driver CD, but somehow the CD installation program didn't suggest this Broadcom NIC to be present on my system. So I thought the board must use the Intel NIC just like the original H67. Should have tested the Broadcom driver right away...

Anyway, it's working now - thanks again.

• Any update on this? I am behind the game on the SSD conversion but just ran into the same issue and the above link is dead...
  • lbluejay15
    Any update on this? I am behind the game on the SSD conversion but just ran into the same issue and the above link is dead...

I presume you have an XPS 8300 too, but you didn't say what version of Windows you're using.

The Broadcom ethernet driver for Win 7 64-bit on the XPS 8300 is here.

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• I have the XPS 8300 also, but with Windows 8.1.  The network card disappeared all together after a power surge.  When I click on the link above, there is nothing there.  And according to the Service Tag page, there is no Windows 8.1 support.  

So am I screwed?  Can this be fixed?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• D.Albert

I have the XPS 8300 also, but with Windows 8.1.  The network card disappeared all together after a power surge.  When I click on the link above, there is nothing there.  And according to the Service Tag page, there is no Windows 8.1 support.  

So am I screwed?  Can this be fixed?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you were able to use the onboard NIC with Win 8.1 before the power surge, there must be a Win 8.1 driver available for it. First look in BIOS setup (reboot and press F2) to make sure the onboard NIC hasn't been disabled. Be sure to save any change before exiting setup.

Alternatively, copy all the current BIOS settings and then reset BIOS to factory defaults which might fix the problem. After resetting BIOS to the defaults, go into BIOS setup again and confirm the new settings match what you wrote down or change to match.

If that doesn't help, look in Device Manager for details about the NIC and then go to the Broadcom(?) site to find a suitable driver.

But if you had a power surge, the NIC may have gotten fried.  And in that case, you either need to replace the motherboard or -and less expensive- install an add-in PCI-e NIC card that's compatible with Win 8.1. Check slot availability before purchasing a NIC card. And if you install an add-in NIC, be sure to disable the onboard NIC in BIOS setup.

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee