Can I install a SATA DVD Writer on an Inspiron 530?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Can I install a SATA DVD Writer on an Inspiron 530?

This question is answered

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 purchased in 2007, and would like to purchase an HP (internal) 1270 I 24X SATA Multiformat DVD Writer (with Lightscribe) so my aspiring videographer teenage son can burn cool labels on the DVDs he is making for people with his new company.  I have read that my desktop is not SATA compatible - is there a cable I can purchase ( I notice several that are mentioned at the bottom of  the Amazon page for this product) that will make this work with my Dell? I don't really understand what SATA or ATA really means - but am trying to read and learn before I purchase. Any help would be appreciated!Below is the link for the DVD writer I'm looking at. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KT1YEU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=AN8LN2YPKS7DF

Verified Answer
  • ltswords

Yes, the SATA data cable shown in your link will be fine.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

All Replies
  • ltswords

The Inspiron 530 only supports SATA drives, therefore the SATA HP (internal) 1270 I 24X SATA Multiformat DVD Writer as shown in your link, can be installed. If this is an additional drive, you will need a SATA data cable, there should be spare SATA power connector inside the case for the drive.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Is this the cable I will need?

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P940-19I-Serial-Signal/dp/B000083JZH/ref=pd_bxgy__text_b

• ltswords

Yes, the SATA data cable shown in your link will be fine.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001