Processor upgrade for Dimension E520

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Processor upgrade for Dimension E520

This question is answered

I am aware of the many posts (some dating back as 2009) in the forum regarding this issue, but as a novice and not too tech savy - they all don't make much sense to me.

I would want to upgrade an OLD Dell Dimension E520 machine that was given as a gift to my kids. 

Here the specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz/ 2.99 GHz (Intel ViiV series)

RAM: 3.0 GB

System Type: 32-bit OS/ Windows Vista Home Premium

Graphics Card: NVidia GEForce 8400GS 512MB

HDD: 300 SATA Western Digital

Not really sure what type of mother board this unit has.  Is it possible for you to know based on the processory type?  I have successfully updated the bios to 2.4.

-----

My question is, what is the best latest processor that would be a good replacement for the Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz/ 2.99 GHz?  I have been eying this one on eBay - Intel® Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 2.66/8M/1066 SLACQ LGA775

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Intel-Core-2-Quad-CPU-Q6700-2-66-8M-1066-SLACQ-LGA775-/110666138081?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item19c43741e1

... and was thinking if all I have to do is replace the OLD processor with this one, simply like plug and play.  Will that work?  I was worried that the PINS might not be compatible.  I am not even sure if the processor I am eying is indeed a better replacement for my old one... or is it the other way around?

I would really be happy to get a reply.

Cheers!

Verified Answer
  • You could buy a new computer for $299 (here in the US) now that would run rings around any upgrades to the old one. Processor upgrades are not plug and play and would not make the computer much faster. You cannot just pick any processor. You have to stay within the limits of your motherboard. I don't think you can buy a dual core for a pentium d board. Look at the April issue of PC World magazine for some tips about upgrading. It's just not worth the expense when new computers are so cheap now. Or just use the computer as is until you can buy new.

• DELLerrific

The Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 2.66/8M/1066 CPU should be compatible, with the e520, see HERE, but it will not be Plug and Play, as you need to check that there's BIOS version 2.2.1 [or higher], when additional CPU support was added, is installed.
    Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

All Replies
  • You could buy a new computer for $299 (here in the US) now that would run rings around any upgrades to the old one. Processor upgrades are not plug and play and would not make the computer much faster. You cannot just pick any processor. You have to stay within the limits of your motherboard. I don't think you can buy a dual core for a pentium d board. Look at the April issue of PC World magazine for some tips about upgrading. It's just not worth the expense when new computers are so cheap now. Or just use the computer as is until you can buy new.

• true, buying a cheaper one may be less of a headache... well it's just that the machine works fine and the kids are the only ones using it.  Just wondering for the processor upgrade as a way to enhance its gaming capabilities... maybe a new machine for the kids may be considered when I see they have taken good care of this machine they are currently using... thanks for your reply...

• DELLerrific

The Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 2.66/8M/1066 CPU should be compatible, with the e520, see HERE, but it will not be Plug and Play, as you need to check that there's BIOS version 2.2.1 [or higher], when additional CPU support was added, is installed.
    Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks Bev!

Well I have updated my bios to 2.4 already so I guess I'll have to go for that one.  It's just for the kids so it should be fine.  Hopefully it'll only cost me less than 30 quid :-)

Cheers!

• DELLerrific

Good luck with the upgrade.  Yes

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• rer