Help, I can no longer watch videos

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Help, I can no longer watch videos

This question is not answered

In the last couple of weeks, I've suddenly become unable to watch any videos such as youtube.  When I click on one, it goes to a totally black screen and shuts down my computer.

I ran virus scan numerous times, defragged, etc.

Yesterday, I ran the Dell Diagnostic test that can be done upon restarting your computer.   I got:

ERROR CODE  0F00:137B.

Msg   CDRW_1-Drive Media is missing or blank.

Msg   DVDRW_4-Drive media is missing or blank.

My warranty to use tech support has expired.   Can anyone here help me? 

Thank you.

All Replies
  • Those error messages only mean that you didn't have a data disk in the optical drives when the diagonstics were run. Put a data disk in each drive and rerun the tests. You probably won't see those error messages again.

Download the Abobe Flash Uninstaller from the link on this page. Follow the directions to uninstall Flash and reboot. Then download a fresh copy of the latest version of Flash from here and install that.  Unless you really want it, uncheck the box for the Google toolbar before downloading Flash.

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Thanks, Ron,  but went through all those steps and it didn't work.....sigh.   When I click on any web video, there is a brief second where it looks like it going to start, but then my screen freezes, then it goes to a totally black screen.   The only way to get it back on is to do a hard boot.

Anything else I could try?

• Scanned for thoroughly for malware lately?

If this only happened in the past few days, maybe a System Restore will fix it. Choose the most recent date available before the problem started.

Personal files will be ok, but you will have to reinstall any software or Microsoft updates originally installed after the date used for the System Restore.

And if that doesn't fix it, you may have to uninstall the video driver in Device Manager and install a fresh download of the latest version that's compatible with your hardware and version of Windows. Get the updated driver from the manufacturer's site (eg, ATI or nVidia) because Dell tends to be behind on video drivers.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Are you running Windows 7 or Vista and recently been upgraded to Internet Explorer 9?

If so Google IE9 Active X filtering or post back.

D.

• I have Windows XP.

• What PC model is this?

Did you try a System Restore?

Do you have your Dell Windows Reinstallation CD? Does the disk have XP with Service Pack 2 or Sercice Pack 3? And what XP Service Pack is installed on the hard drive?

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Me again...

Have you scanned for malware?

You can also try this:

Launch IE and click Tools>Internet Options>General tab

Under Browsing History, click Delete

On next screen, check both Temporary Internet Files and Cookies. You can decide which of the other items you want to delete.

Then click Delete

Close IE and restart it. See if that fixes it.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Didn't work.......sigh....................

• kimmysuegamer

Didn't work.......sigh....................

What didn't work? Malware scans? System Restore...?? Please be specific so I can follow what you've done.

What version of Internet Explorer do you have?

Click Start>Programs and select "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" to launch IE.  Does that solve it?

Do you have your Dell WIndows XP Reinstallation CD? What version is it (eg, XP SP2, XP SP3?) and what version of Windows XP is on your hard drive?

What model PC do you have? Are you using "on-board" video or do you have an add-in video card?

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• NOTHING has worked.   I've been working on this for aboout 2 weeks now on my own, plus I have performed all the tasks anyone has suggested in this thread.

Tried system restore for a variety of dates.  Didn't work.  The system will not let me restore AT ALL. 

Tried deleting cookies, temporary files, etc. did not work.

Tried uninstalling, reinstalling Adobe didn't work.

My husband is going to have one of his I-T folks work on  it tomorrow for me.

• If System Restore isn't working, you may have a malware infection. Suggest you go to the Malware Removal Forum. Read the Sticky Notes at the top and follow the instructions to post a HijackThis log file over there.

Be sure to mention in your first post on that forum the Flash problem and that System Restore isn't working, include PC model, version of Windows, version of Internet Explorer, and all the things you've tried to fix this.

One of the malware experts will look over your system to see if it's infected. It may take a day or 2 before someone responds.  The expert volunteers spend a lot of time with each user so be patient until they get to you. 

Good luck!

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee