Dell Dimension 4700 new motherboard compatible with Intel Core 2 Duo GHz

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Dimension 4700 new motherboard compatible with Intel Core 2 Duo GHz

This question is not answered

Hi everybody, 

I recently purchased a new processor for my computer only to find out that while the socket is the same, the motherboard cannot handle the dual core. 

my computer is also running nvidea geforce 2200 graphics card  with an 2x 512GB ram (manufacturer) and an extra 1x1GB ram that i threw in.

what i want to know is;

1) what motherboard can i get that is compatible with this -  I would rather not build a new PC from scratch

2) will I need to upgrade the fan / heatsink to compensate for the better processor

system specs below...

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name DELL-120909

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Dimension 4700

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A10, 04/01/2006

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name DELL-120909\Jack

Time Zone GMT Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 1.14 GB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

Page File Space 2.59 GB

All Replies
  • Hi Jackbuckley118,

Two things. First, it would be helpful if you tell us which processor you purchased.

Second, the 4700 is a pretty old system. If you were to upgrade the motherboard, chances are you're in for new RAM, PSU, hard drive, etc. So it would almost make more sense to buy a new system or build something from scratch. Either way, there's very little in your old 4700 that can be used.

• jackbuckley118

what i want to know is;

1) what motherboard can i get that is compatible with this -  I would rather not build a new PC from scratch

2) will I need to upgrade the fan / heatsink to compensate for the better processor

Any micro-ATX mainboard should fit and all the case connections apart from the front audio port are compatible. (The USB cable for the front ports has a ninth, non-standard lead that should be removed.) The front audio connector is of the Soundblaster ten-pin time and some models of Soundblaster have the appropriate connector.

Changing the mainboard means changing the CPU fan and removing the stock heatsink shrould. The case fan may have a proprietary connector, but the back of the case has mounting holes for a standard 92mm case fan.

• Hi Osprey4, 

thanks for your quick reply

the processor i am running at the moment is a intel pentium 4 2.8ghz - the one i bought is an intel core 2 duo.

i thought that building a new PC may be the way forward. the 4700 is massively out of date!

which motherboard should i get to support my system (i'm a gamer) 

• jackbuckley118

which motherboard should i get to support my system (i'm a gamer) 

I'd suggest a micro-ATX board that takes DDR3 memory and has a PCIe-x16 2.X slot.

I put a Foxconn G41 in my 3000, which shares its case design with your 4700.