Inspiron 530 - "F8" not an option

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 530 - "F8" not an option

This question is not answered

I have an Inspiron 530 that will not boot. It had been upgraded to Win 7. Had so many bugs on it (103 viruses, trojans, etc.) that now it will not start (bootmgr corrupt or missing). The diagnostic and recovery partitions appear intact, but can only access diagnostics via F12 key on boot. F8 requires a good operating system to use. Is there a way to use the recovery partition to restore the system? Have tried copying partition to another drive - no luck. Do I have to reset Hidden, System, and Read-only attributes, or do I have to order a restore system disk set?

All Replies
  • Hi Greywolf61,

Did you originally have XP or Vista?

By the way, I definitely recommend you have a set of discs for restoring the operating system manually, which can be ordered from this page.

• When you upgraded to win 7 you lost the function to do a factory restore. Your only option now will be a complete reinstall with your win 7 disk

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Originally Vista with 7 installed over the top. I can get to or "see" all the file in the recovery partition (about 8.3 gig) but cann't activate it in the normal way (F8). Have tried setting the partition as active. Duped the partition to another drive but couldn't  boot to it. I am ordering recovery disks but would still like to know what options are available to actually use the recovery partition on the original drive. I Really appreciate the quick response Oprey4.

• Dell Factory restore with Vista.. May work the same with your win 7

And you can do a fresh reinstall with a upgrade disk by following the steps HERE. works fine I know have done it on each of my win 7 systems, Just subsitute the word Window 7 for vista

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Hello Davt50,

Actually, I tried that with Win 7 Pro 32 bit, and it hangs on "press any key to boot from cd" after instal of startup files.