XPS 8300 fan noise !

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

XPS 8300 fan noise !

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

Today I received my DELL XPS 8300 Desktop PC (with the Cougar Point  / Sandy Bridge fix from Intel). All works fine but I admit I am shocked to the amount of fan noise stemming from the rear of the PC. I say shocked  because I also own the XPS Studio 8100 from last year and that one is dead silent.. 

I checked the DELL web-site if  there is a BIOS update but I have the latest BIOS version (A03)... I wonder if I am only the one with this issue with the XPS 8300... 

cheers

Dave

All Replies
  • Ditto - I got XPS 8300 yesterday and it has a loud buzzing sound that must be from the fan. If I press the cabinet on the front bottom, the noise will go away. This is not the HD, which also makes normal R/W sounds under load. I am guess that part of the fan assembly must be touching the chassis or housing. Is this a design defect or just poor build quality?

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Computer is great other wise, but my old XPS was almost silent (and weighed 10 pounds more - it was a rock).

Thanks,

Matt

• Hi - just got my XPS 8300 yesterday and it is LOUD!  Replaced an older XPS that was very quiet by comparison. I'd be interested to know if there is a recommended fan replacement - I am not certain I can stand the racket!!!  I called yesterday since my XPS wasn't properly configured out of the box and the tech support guy was extremely helpful.  He's calling back today to check on how I got on and I will bring up the fan noise. 

• Hi,

I had exactly the same issue with a new XPS 8300 - it was very noisy. I checked all the fans and they were fine. I then suspected the PSU and got Dell to replace it - no change, still noisy. The technician said this was just how things were.

Not satisfied, I bought a "silent" PSU and installed it myself. Again no change, still a loud hum.

FInally I took out the hard drive from the chassis and the noise stopped! I put it back in without the putting in the screws that hold it and the noise droppped by 50% from what it had been before. I then bought some material from Maplins which they sell to help with computer noise problems (like a black hard rubber) and put it between the hard drive and the chassis and put it back in. I was able to put 2 of the screws back in as well.

NOW THERE IS NO NOISE!

I don't know if you're experiencing the same noise issue but mine was a humming which was there from the minute I switched on. Just try removing the hard drive's power cable and boot up and if that was the source of the problem you'll soon see.

All the best,

Ian

• Hi Ian - I should have updated this at the end of April. In my case it turned out to be the video card. I called Dell back several days later and while troubleshooting it over the phone, I noticed that whenever I did anything "video intensive" (e.g. scrolling on the web, etc.) the noise would get louder. Eventually they had me pop off the cover and to listen to where the noise was coming from in the PC. It definitely sounded like the video card so they had me pop out the video card and bingo! that was the source of the noise. Dell dispatched a new card and despite me telling them that I could install myself, sent a technician to install the card. Problem solved - happy camper. My complaint about the whole process is that the initial technician (who followed up on my Day 1 issues which did not include the noise) gave me some song and dance response about the noise when I mentioned it - rather than doing any troubleshooting at all. It was only when I called several days later that I got anyone to work with me on the issue.

• Hi,

I'm having a similar problem.  Just started up my Dell XPS 8300 for the first time, and during Windows updates, it started making an incredibly loud noise, not a standard whirring that comes from certain desktops, but a gratingly loud noise, so loud I had to close my door to the room so it wouldn't disturb anyone on that floor of my house.  VERY surprised as this was the 1st day I turned on this computer

1.  Is this similar to the type of noise you experienced?

2.  Was it similar to my experience, where it didn't happen all the time the computer was on... just seemed to start when getting the latest Windows updates (during the installing of the updates).

3.  Do you mind telling me what video card you have in your Dell XPS 8300?  Is it positive it was the video card?

4.   Did they change to a different video card company and type, or just sent you the same video card?  Can you tell me what they changed it to, if they did?

5.  Do you mind telling me specs of your computer (Intel processor type (i7? i5?); RAM; Hard Drive space and RPM; etc)

6.  How long have you owned your computer?  Has this problem always been there since you bought it?

Thanks!

Paul

• Hi,

I'm having a similar problem.  Just started up my Dell XPS 8300 for the first time, and during Windows updates, it started making an incredibly loud noise, not a standard whirring that comes from certain desktops, but a gratingly loud noise, so loud I had to close my door to the room so it wouldn't disturb anyone on that floor of my house.  VERY surprised as this was the 1st day I turned on this computer

1.  Is this similar to the type of noise you experienced?

2.  Was it similar to my experience, where it didn't happen all the time the computer was on... just seemed to start when getting the latest Windows updates (during the installing of the updates).

3.  Do you mind telling me what video card you have in your Dell XPS 8300?  Is it positive it was the video card?

4.   Did they change to a different video card company and type, or just sent you the same video card?  Can you tell me what they changed it to, if they did?

5.  Do you mind telling me specs of your computer (Intel processor type (i7? i5?); RAM; Hard Drive space and RPM; etc)

6.  How long have you owned your computer?  Has this problem always been there since you bought it?

Thanks!

Paul

• Okay - here goes:

1.  Is this similar to the type of noise you experienced?  ANSWER:  Not exactly.  I don't recall a grating type noise.  I thought it sounded like a very noisy fan.  I initially thought it was the CPU fan (because one of the Dell "techs" on the phone indicated that they had a lot of cooling, etc. (making up a bogus answer).  However, during troubleshooting with a tech on the phone I noticed that it got noiser during "video intensive" activities like scrolling with my mouse on a web site.  If you are getting a grating noise, sounds like it could be a fan and/or the housing around the fan.

2.  .....where it didn't happen all the time the computer was on...just seemed to start when getting the latest Window updates.....  ANSWER:  No.  I definitely heard the noise when turning the PC on and it got louder during video intensive activities.

3.  Video card - and was I positive it was the video card?  ANSWER:  ATI Radeon HD 5450 1 GB DDR3.  Yes, I am positive it was the video card.

4.  ANSWER:They replaced it with an exact duplicate video card.

5.  XPS 8300. Serial ATA II RAID 0 with Dual 500GB Hard Drives.Intel Core i5-2500 processor (6MB Cache, 3.3 GHz).  8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 4x2GB

6.  Since the end of April.  As stated in subsequent postings, the video card replacement completely solved the problem - it is as quite as a mouse.

STEVE

• Hi Ian,

Wish I read your post before waisting time lol I had my Dell delivered and they very moment I turned it on, I could hear the humming noise. I went through a process of elimination where unplugged every thing one by one and the humming stopped when the hard disks were un plugged (so they were the cause). I was quite let down as had waiting two weeks for my top of the range XPS to be delivered, I am getting a refund as I cant put up with the noise as the area I am in is very quite and use the system from studying on different VM's.

Dell probably build in these in large loud factories hence probably never get to hear the noise. I will wait to see if they release some with solid state disks. If any one else has the same issues please let me know so I can decide if to go for these in the furture or choose another system. Thanks

• My xps8300 iI consider to be quiet with

the only noticable noise I get is a quick growl at startup which is nice and I reckon its the gpu fan startup,

Smile  Hiya From UK Smile

Dell Streak-7  Force Shutdown / Hard-Reset / Safemode / Recovery  info hard-reset.com/dell-streak-7-hard-reset.html

• Hi, I nearly returned mine too! The "technician" that came out to find the source of the noise was completely useless! Anyway, with the addition of the acoustic pad around the drive it's silent now. If your replacement is noisy too then give that a try. I added a pair of Intel 510 SSDs in RAID configuration and I strongly recommend it. The system is incredibly fast! The included drive got 175mb/s in benchmarks and now I'm getting 925 mb/s. Windows finishes loading before the logo joins together and photoshop loads in less than 2 seconds! Good luck with yours, Ian
  • Hi Matt,

Good job by you to keep your data backed up. Glad the hard drive replacement solved the problem.