Flashing amber power light on Dimention 5150

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Flashing amber power light on Dimention 5150

This question is answered

My Dimention 5150 will not start...All i get is a flashing amber light. If I disconnect all things (mouse,keyboard,network,speakers and even monitor) and then unglug for a length of time...It will sometimes boot and then I plug in all things while booting. This only happens when it is a cold boot. A restart is not a problem. Any ideas???

Verified Answer
  • In most cases, a flashing amber power light is a power supply problem.  We have seen a very high number of 5150/E510's with the flashing amber power light and almost all have been power supply problems.  There have been a couple motherboards and one front panel switch assembly and one system that had shorted USB port pins, but overwhelmingly it's been the power supply.

The 5150 uses a standard ATX power supply, it's rated at 310 watts, although a 400 watt (minimum) commercial power supply is recommended.  Also a good grade power supply as the inexpensive models tend to be overrated and have poor DC voltage regulation.  The newer "modular" type power supplies are recommended for a non-Dell power supply replacement as they minimize having to stuff unused power cables inside the PC.

Example of modular power supply

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

All Replies
  • In most cases, a flashing amber power light is a power supply problem.  We have seen a very high number of 5150/E510's with the flashing amber power light and almost all have been power supply problems.  There have been a couple motherboards and one front panel switch assembly and one system that had shorted USB port pins, but overwhelmingly it's been the power supply.

The 5150 uses a standard ATX power supply, it's rated at 310 watts, although a 400 watt (minimum) commercial power supply is recommended.  Also a good grade power supply as the inexpensive models tend to be overrated and have poor DC voltage regulation.  The newer "modular" type power supplies are recommended for a non-Dell power supply replacement as they minimize having to stuff unused power cables inside the PC.

Example of modular power supply

I am not a Dell Employee

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

• Thanks for the suggestion. I think I could do this. I have changed cd drived and hard drives...this can not be any harder. Any thing I should be aware of? Any hints?

Thanks,

tomwin

• Nothing other than to watch what you've disconnected and reconnect power to those items.  e.g. SATA to the hard drive, PATA (IDE Molex) to the CD/DVD drives.  You will have two power connections to the motherboard, a 24 pin (or 20 plus 4 pin) power connector and a 4 pin Molex power connector.

HERE is the Dell manual and how to replace the power supply.  Just keep in mind you will be installing a non-Dell power supply so the exact cabling may be different. But otherwise it's the same. 

I am not a Dell Employee

• Dell gave me a part #uh870, the # on the ACTUAL power supply is mc406. Are all of these power supplies the same physical size (ie: will they fit?)

they all seem to have the required connectors. Original was 305W but apparently some higher W can be used as an upgrade.

thanks,

tomwin

• I'm all fixed. I bought a generic Antec power supply at Staples of all places! $44 and 20 minutes of labor...but alot of worry. I have hands like hamhocks, so it was a bit tricky trying to get the connectors on to the cd and dvd drives. But, it all works and I even think it runs better and faster. Thank you very much for your help and guidence. I really appreciate it.

Thanks again,

tomwin

• Great.  The Antec should work OK, it's a "major" brand.

I am not a Dell Employee