What is the Maximum Memroy for an Inspiron 580? - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

What is the Maximum Memroy for an Inspiron 580?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

What is the Maximum Memroy for an Inspiron 580?

This question has been answered by reitze

I am confused concerning the maximum  memory for the Inspiron 580.

On the Dell web site, it states 8 GB is the maximum. 

When I run the Dell Support Center software, click the Detailed System Information Tab, under SYSTEM MEMORY, it states Maximum Supported Memory is 16.00 GB.

What is the correct answer?

Verified Answer
  • Gray J, Yes I did.  As I posted above.  Its been running 16GB for about 4 months now. 

According to control-panel ... system it shows an i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20 GHz with 16GB installed, 15.8GB usable.  64-bit OS.  NOTE: the RAM is non-EEC

And yes its a Dell Inspiron 580 (per name-plate).  In case it got lost above, I wrote on 12/29/2015 (so you have the price, PN, and source):

I just powered up with 16 GB in my Dell Inspiron 580.  It has 4 RAM slots now holding 4x of these at $21/each (from ebay): 

• 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz 4G DESKTOP MEMORY 240 PIN Non-ECC RAM CL 11 

I was careful to cross-ref what would fit and how fast it was.  These are faster than they need to be but they were also the lowest cost.  The old ones were DDR3-1333.  So these are faster (doubt that helps the machine go any faster), DDR3-1600 (aka PC3-12800). 

I've had this i5 PC for about 5 years now.  I had been thinking it was getting old/obsolete, but when shopping its not bad.  So $80 brings me from 6GB to 16GB.

All Replies