Studio Desktop 540 Noisy fan??

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Studio Desktop 540 Noisy fan??

This question is not answered

Seem to have an intermittently very noisy fan. Any ideas?

All Replies
  •  dja2

The Studio 540 has several fans, case, processor/heatsink, power supply and if a PCIe x16 video card is installed, that also may have a fan.

You need to open the case, to determine which fan is making the noise.

The Studio 540 Service manual, is HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• shesagordie

dja2

The Studio 540 has several fans, case, processor/heatsink, power supply and if a PCIe x16 video card is installed, that also may have a fan.

You need to open the case, to determine which fan is making the noise.

The Studio 540 Service manual, is HERE

Bev.

Bev

Both the chassis and processor fans appear to be on continuosly - is this correct? It appears to be the chassis fan that is making the noise.

•  dja2

Yes, both the case and processor/heatsink fans run continuously, as does the power supply fan.

As the system works harder, the chassis fan's speed will fluctuate, to keep the system's temperature within the normal operating range.

Have you recently checked there's no dust buildup on the fans, heatsinks cooling fins and in the front panel air intakes?

Also, Dell has published a BIOS version 1.0.12 upgrade, that has Enhance Fan Control.   

Check to see if you have this version, if not you could install this and see if it makes a difference.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• I  have started to have the same problem this week.  About every 20 seconds the fan starts to go crazy, gets loud and sounds like it speeds up.  I don't want to sound like an idiot, but if we have to unplug the computer to open the case, how can we tell which fan it is that's making the noise.  Mine is beginning to sound like it's going to take off.

•  jeaniemws

Shut the system down, open the case and restart the system.

What I do, to find a noisy fan, is to temporarily gently stop each fan in turn, using thin pastic stick to see which is the noise maker.

After this, again shut the system down and reinstall the cover on the case.

Also, while open, check there is no dust buildup on the fans, heatsink cooling fins, front panel air intakes and inside the case.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Thank you to all you guys for posting this issue!  Everyone I've spoken to asking about this problem told me if I'd made sure there wasn't a build up of dust, then there wasn't anything wrong, I was just exaggerating the issue!  I know I may be sanity-challenged in some issues, but I know when my computer sounds like it's about to lift off! 

I saw the suggestion about checking the bios update... I'm sure hoping that works, because otherwise, I'm about ready to chunk this computer out a window!  Every time this fan kicks in, you can't hear anything or anyone else unless you're right next to them!

Thanks again & keep any other suggestions coming!

Elizabeth

aka SouthernTrouble

•  SouthernTrouble

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Bev.

Ps. A hint, always include the computer model and the version of windows that's installed, in a post.  Wink

Forum Member since 2001