Restore to Factory Settings - help

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Restore to Factory Settings - help

This question is not answered

Hi, can anyone help - I have a Dell Inspiron One 19T running windows 7

I seem to have picked up a virus which has left internet explorer corrupt and I can not access the internet on that computer.  My system is supposed to be protected by Mcafee Anti virus software.  I have run a scan through McAfee which did not detect any problems.  I have downloaded the Windows/Microsoft Help pages which suggest running an online security scanner but as I cannot access the internet on that computer, this is impossible. 

I tried to restore the computer to the factory settings by pressing F8 on the logo screen to get the options to restore but it does not bring that menu up - is there another way to bring that menu up?

Can I get Internet Explorer in disc format and re-load it onto the computer or is a system restore a better option?

All Replies
  • darkp11

The procedures for restoring Windows 7 on a Dell Computer to it's factory settings, are HERE

If you are unable to use the PC restore feature, a Manual Reinstall of Windows 7 is required, go HERE for the instructions.

The Dell Windows 7 reinstallation disc is required for the Manual Reinstallation. 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks Bev

I've tried the first one but <f8> did not seem to action any menus to allow me restore and I do not have any discs to restore manually - did not realise I was supposed to create them myself

• darkp11

Thanks Bev

I've tried the first one but <f8> did not seem to action any menus to allow me restore and I do not have any discs to restore manually - did not realise I was supposed to create them myself

If your system came with Win7 preinstalled, then there is a program on your system called Dell Data Safe to make the backup's. If it has gone, then you can download it from HERE.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

• darkp11

Thanks Bev

darkp11

If you reside in the US and are the registered owner of the computer, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may charge for the disc.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks to you both - I discovered that I should be tapping <f8> instead of press & hold!

Managed to restore the system to factory settings last night and virus seems to be gone - now backing up everything Smile

• darkp11

Thanks to you both - I discovered that I should be tapping <f8> instead of press & hold!

Managed to restore the system to factory settings last night and virus seems to be gone - now backing up everything Smile

darkp11

Please to hear that the issue is resolved.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• I have a virus and I can't get rid of,I have taken it to Internet shop three times but it keeps reappearing.i'd like to take it back to factory settings,but I need help.
  • george no1
    I have a virus and I can't get rid of,I have taken it to Internet shop three times but it keeps reappearing.i'd like to take it back to factory settings,but I need help.

george no1

It will be handy to know the version of windows that's installed.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001