How to upgrade a Dell Dimension 4600 PC ?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

How to upgrade a Dell Dimension 4600 PC ?

This question is not answered

Hi, I know very little about upgrading a PC on my own and would like to learn more.

My PC is running on Pentium 4 Processor with Hyper Threading Technology. Can I upgrade the processor to Pentium Core 2 Dual Processor E7500 by unplugging the old processor and insert in the new processor, can it fit and  does it going to work ?

To upgrade tge RAM must I choose the exactly same type of RAM originally used by Dell ?  Can I use other more advance type of RAM such as

2GB(2X1GB) NECC Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM Memory at my old chipset ?.
Appreciatte very much if someone knowledgable could give me sound advise on this issue.
Thank you
Low
Verified Answer
  • This is possible you must upgrade everthing on the Dimension.This includes MotherBoard CPU RAM GPU The only thing that you keep is the dimensions shell

If you want to do this with the Dimension /MotherBoard well that is impossible.

The MotherBoard takes Pentium 4's or lower.

It might look like it accepts laptop Core 2 Duos and up but i tried it wont.

you can only upgrade the mother board to get the newer processers

Its an all or nothing deal dude

I hope this helps and doesnt waste your money

All Replies
  • Hi Low,

You cannot use dual core processors in a 4600, only Socket 478, P4 400/533/800 MHz FSB processors. All the 4600 models will take a socket 478 CPU at 800 MHz, up to 3.0GHz and the later models 4600 will take the 3.2GHz and 3.4GHz processors.

For RAM, you must buy modules that are compatible with your system. Each of your four memory slots can hold DDR PC2700, DDR PC3200 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.

• Seng Kuang

Hi, I know very little about upgrading a PC on my own and would like to learn more.

My PC is running on Pentium 4 Processor with Hyper Threading Technology. Can I upgrade the processor to Pentium Core 2 Dual Processor E7500 by unplugging the old processor and insert in the new processor, can it fit and  does it going to work ?

To upgrade tge RAM must I choose the exactly same type of RAM originally used by Dell ?  Can I use other more advance type of RAM such as

2GB(2X1GB) NECC Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM Memory at my old chipset ?.
    Appreciatte very much if someone knowledgable could give me sound advise on this issue.
    Thank you
    Low

You can use an E7500 and DDR3 memory, but you will also have to change the mainboard. Fortunately, the 4600 has standard micro-ATX mountings and all the front panel connectors apart from the front audio port are standard.  This board is on special for $45 after mail-in rebate.

For the front audio, you can add a Soundblaster card with the requisite socket, leave the port unconnected, or rewire it with parts available online. I did the latter for my Dell Dimension 3000 Hackintosh, but duplicating the factory connections required a special pair of crimping pliers.

• Hi rdunnill,

Could you provide some tips on how to run OS X on the configuration you put on your Dimension 3000? Could it handle a dual boot with Windows and OS X? Today would you still recommend the E7500 or better options are still in the $150-200 range? 

Thanks in advance,

Dario

• No one has pointed out that is it not cost effective to spend hundreds to upgrade an old computer. Brand new computers with Windows 7 and faster, better hardware can be bought for less than $400 now.

• dsalis

Hi rdunnill,

Could you provide some tips on how to run OS X on the configuration you put on your Dimension 3000? Could it handle a dual boot with Windows and OS X? Today would you still recommend the E7500 or better options are still in the $150-200 range? 

Thanks in advance,

Dario

I swapped in a Gigabyte and it was booting OSX, but more work needed to be done to get all the devices (like the video) functioning correctly. I tried several install images from kexts.com until I found one that worked, and it helped to have a 4650 video card, which seems to be more compatible with the default drivers than the 5670.

It may be possible for a dual boot, but I'm not sure; my level of sophistication is not yet that high.

As for a CPU, I think an E5500 or E6500 is more than enough unless you have rigorous uses in mind.

• Mary G

No one has pointed out that is it not cost effective to spend hundreds to upgrade an old computer. Brand new computers with Windows 7 and faster, better hardware can be bought for less than $400 now.

I put a Gigabyte G41 mainboard, E5700 dual core CPU, and 2gb of Corsair DDR3 in my Newegg cart and the total was $151 with shipping. That's cost-effective in anyone's book.

• This is possible you must upgrade everthing on the Dimension.This includes MotherBoard CPU RAM GPU The only thing that you keep is the dimensions shell

If you want to do this with the Dimension /MotherBoard well that is impossible.

The MotherBoard takes Pentium 4's or lower.

It might look like it accepts laptop Core 2 Duos and up but i tried it wont.

you can only upgrade the mother board to get the newer processers

Its an all or nothing deal dude

I hope this helps and doesnt waste your money

• Old thread. Should be locked.

•  This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell