Question About Dell Dimension 4550 Hard Drive Upgrade - General Hardware - Desktop - Dell Community

Question About Dell Dimension 4550 Hard Drive Upgrade

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Question About Dell Dimension 4550 Hard Drive Upgrade

This question is not answered

I have a 2002 Dimension 4550 desktop that works great to this day. I wanted to upgrade the HDD from 80GB to a 640GB SATA Drive.

I purchased the IDE to SATA adaptor and installed the WD 640HD.

I had no luck getting windows to install on this bigger drive. It would just freeze up just a few minutes into installing Windows XP Pro. I tried and tried and spent hours trying to get this to work but no luck.

Is there a limit on how much HDD capcity this 4550 can handle. I'm using A08 BIOS version.

Thanks for any advise.

Mike

All Replies
  • I used a 4550 as a workstation for a while and I installed a Syba 150R PCI SATA card and Hitachi 160gb SATA hard drive. It worked a treat, not just in the 4550 but in a 3000 and 2350 as well. 

I have never tried the IDE-to-SATA adapters, and I'd be leery about them just because. The Syba card is only $15-ish and I know it to work with old Dells, and although I haven't tried it, I'm sure you could use drives up to 2tb in the 4550.

• I have yet to hear of an SATA-to-IDE adapter working. The 4550 can certainly handle any size IDE drive available, which is exactly what I suggest you purchase.

• osprey4

I have yet to hear of an SATA-to-IDE adapter working. The 4550 can certainly handle any size IDE drive available, which is exactly what I suggest you purchase.

Alas, the OP has already purchased a SATA drive, and in that situation it would be more cost-effective to buy a budget SATA card.

Cheers, RD