(XPS 420) Upgrading from a Nvidia 8800GT to ....?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

(XPS 420) Upgrading from a Nvidia 8800GT to ....?

This question is not answered

Hello there,

I'm finally interested in searching for a new graphics card. I've been searching around for a card that'll fit into the XPS420. I know there are numerous issues with the size of the tower of the XPS and of course the power supply needed.

The budge i'm look at is around £250. I've been looking at the Nvidia 460/470 and the ATI Radion 5870.

Basically, my real question to you guys is: 

• What's the best graphics card available at the price budge I have?
  • Can this graphics card fit in the current XPS 420 tower (My current graphics card being the 8800GT is roughly - Length: 9.5 inches, Height: Close to 1 inch)
  • What power supply would I need to have to buy in order for it to work?

Having such a slim graphics card to start with, I can't really see how all the new cards such as 4.3 inches, are going to fit in the tower, as the MASSIVE fan is in the way. The length shouldn't be a problem, as i've got about 13 inches of space.

If anyone could give me any information on this, it would be fantastic.

Thanks again,

Chris.

All Replies
  •  c_adams

The better section to post this in, is the Video forum HERE, this is for Desktop Hardware.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• A 5770 might work with current power but the 5870 would require a bigger PSU with 2 Aux power connectors for PCIE.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Yeah I think i've finally decided on a ATI 5870. I think I'll use this PSU.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-117-AN

It's a 650W Antec

Would that be a good enough quality one?

The minimum requirements are 500w for the 5870.

• Yes.  That PSU would be an excellent choice.  

• Dell Dimension 4600, P4 2.66 GHZ, 320GB SATA HD, Nvidia 6200, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Dell Optiplex GX280, P4 3.2 GHZ, 80GB SATA HD, Windows XP 32-bit
    • Dell Inspiron 530, Q6600 Quad, 500GB HD, Vista Home Premium 32-bit
    • Custom Build, Q6600 Quad, (2) 500GB SATA HDs, 4GB Ram, EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC, Corsair 650TX PSU, DVD RW, DVD Blu-ray, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit