Dimension 5150 - No Boot Device Available

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dimension 5150 - No Boot Device Available

This question is not answered

Hi, I need some assistance. Last week as I turned on my pc, it started booting up and got to the Dell screen showing DM051 Series and stopped with the message - No Boot Device Available. When I turn on the pc, the power button stays green, there are two beeps and 1, 2, 3 is showing on the front panel. I went into the BIOS and the hard drive is not displayed; drive 0 (Sata-0), drive 1 (sata-1) and drive 3 (PRI IDE SLAVE) shows drive details unknown and drive 2 is the CD ROM and details are shown.

Here the steps I took to try and identify the cause; 1) I opened the pc, verified all connections and they are OK. 2) I took the battery out, tested and it was good. 3) I remove the power from PSU to the diskette drive and CD drive, same error occurred when I rebooted 4) PC has 4 sticks of RAM total 1 GB. I removed all 4 and tried booting with one stick of 1GB I had but same problem. 5) I remove my video card and reboot..same issue. Put video card back, remove the sound card, rebooted...same issue. The BIOS type was Phoenix version A02, I managed to create a bootable cd and updated the BIOS to A07..same problem. I browsed the web and read quite a few posts for problems with the PSU, my pc has a 305W max. The fans are working but seems slow, not sure if this is a problem. Here are the details of the pc;

Intel Pentium 4-630 3.0Gh Hyperthreading; Windows XP Pro;motherboard Dell DM051; chipset Lakeport-g i945G;RAM 2 x 256mb & 2 x 1Gb; hard drive sata Western digital WD1600JS; videocard Radeon X600 256Mg RAM; soundcard Creative SB Live! 24-bit.

PC was purchased in 2005, warranty passed and don't have any recovery disks. Any ideas what can be causing the issue?

Thanks

Tonyqcca

All Replies
  • A failed hard drive could cause this. You should run the Dell diagnostics that can be accessed from the boot menu. (usually F8 at the very first screen after reboot) Run the extended hard drive test, not the quick one. You'll need your operating disks to setup a new hard drive or to do repairs if your drive is ok.. Fill out this_form to get another set of disks from Dell.

• Drive has likely died.

I would still try to get Dell OEM XP CD's from Dell.

You can request a free set of backup disks
    directly from Dell by filling the form out located here:

https://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

Request Backup Discs

If you recently purchased a Dell computer with the Windows 7 operating system and have DataSafe Local 2.0 on your system, you can create a set of Recovery Discs that contain a complete copy of all software installed on your Dell computer.

How do I know if DataSafe Local 2.0 is on my system?

Click on start menu
          Click on all programs
          Click Dell DataSafe folder
          Click Dell DataSafe Local Backup

For more information about DataSafe Local please see the following Dell articles:

What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0?
          Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0
          Restoring Your Dell Computer to Original Factory Installation with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0
          Frequently Asked Questions: Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0

Dell Customers can now request a set of backup discs containing the factory-installed operating system as well as the device drivers and utilities specific to your system.

* Requests are limited to one (1) set of backup discs per system purchased.
        *The backup discs requested must match the operating system that was factory installed on the original order.

Please note that Dell will provide you the most up to date Resource disc available. This disc contains the latest drivers and diagnostic tools currently being shipped on new systems.

Due to the frequent updates, this Resource disc may not have all the drivers needed for your specific system, especially if it is over one (1) year old.

To ensure that you have the correct drivers for your system, we strongly suggest that you download your drivers from our web site.

All Drivers and Downloads for your system can be found at http://support.dell.com/support/downloads.

If you are considering an operating system reinstall, please click here for an alternative.

To proceed with requesting these backup discs, please fill out the request form below and click Submit to continue.

Depending on your systems warranty status or if more information if needed, you may be asked to contact Dell by phone or schedule a time when Dell can contact you by phone.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here
    I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.
    The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.