Dell Dimension 9200 - Desktop: Won't start

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Dimension 9200 - Desktop: Won't start

This question is not answered

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello,

I was wondering if any one can help me.  I have a Dell Dimension 9200 desktop and today it won’t start.

When I turn the power on I can hear a fan whirling inside and when I took the side panel off there’s a small amber light which is on.   

In the past I’ve had to press the on switch a couple of times in a certain way to get the PC to turn on.

I’ve changed the fuse and plugged the cable into a different power socket and it still won’t turn on.

Does it sound like the on switch needs replacing? I am very inexperienced in terms of fixing PCs – is this something I can do myself?

Many thanks for your help.

With kind regards,

Rich

All Replies
  •  richlini

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages?

Check the reading of Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?

DIAGNOSTIC CODES.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Hi Bev,

Many thanks for responding.

The green lights at the front flickered on.  Numbers 1, 3 and 4 appeared briefly and then disappeared. Above and inbetween numbers 3 and 4 a green cyclinder shape appeared then disappeared.  I couldn't find an error code for this combination.

When I plugged the power cable in the power LED turns momentarily amber, then green (it didn't flash).  Then it disappears.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Rich

• Hi. Try to reseat the RAM and / or graphic card.

• Hi,

I was wondering how to I reset the Ram and Graphics Card?

Thanks,

Rich

• richlini

Rich.

The procedures for removing and reinstalling the Dimension 9200/XPS410. memory modules and graphics card, are HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell