Dimension 4550 power supply

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dimension 4550 power supply

This question is not answered

I recently shut down my Dimension 4550, and went to reboot, but nothing - no fan, no lights, no sounds, no power.

Checked cables, outlet, reinstalled cards, the works.  The only signal I get is the green power standby light on the

motherboard when the cable is connected.  Called Dell tech and they had me try to power up w/out the memory card,

still nothing and no beeps.  They told me I should just buy a new computer because I'd have to replace the motherboard,

power supply, and memory card.  Was wondering if anyone had some insight or similar problem?

-Mike

All Replies
  •  shogun371

I would suggest installing different power supply and see if it makes a difference.

The 4550 can use most standard generic ATX power supply with either a 20-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, that has no power on/off switch. Because the 4550 has a closed back panel, if a PSU with the on/off switch is installed, you would need to modify [cut a hole] the back panel for it.

You can buy a Dell OEM refurbished Dimension 4550 power supply from here.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system  on, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks for the good advice Bev ... sounds like you probably know how to hot wire a car, too  :) 

Mike

•  shogun371

You are welcome and I plead the fifth on the second part.  LOL   Stick out tongue

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell