dell vostro 200 processor upgrade

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

dell vostro 200 processor upgrade

This question is not answered

forgive me, I just joined the support forums, so I might be asking a question that has already been answered.  I have a dell vostro 200, service tag < ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy >.  I would like to upgrade the processor with an E8400 3.0 ghz model.  can my existing motherboard and power supply handle it?  If not, what is the max processor I can go to or do they all require power supply upgrades

All Replies
  • by murf105

The Wolfdale E8400 3.00GHz will work fine in the Vostro 200, without having to upgrade either the motherboard, or  the 300w power supply.

Prior to installing the processor, you need to upgrade the BIOS to latest version 1.0.16, where support for newer processors was added.

In fact, last month I install a used E8400 in my Inspiron 530, that is a clone of the Vostro 200, without any problems.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks Bev.  News I wanted to hear.  I already upraded BIOS, just need to fork over the money and get the hardware.  Wonder why they don't list it on the upgrades when you pull up the website with your service tag.  Seems like it could be a small profit center for Dell.

• by murf105

Happy to have helped.

Often wondered that myself, as I've never had much luck with Dell's upgrade site.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• One other quick question...OK maybe two...I also have an GE Force 8600 GT video card that was factory installed, would that cut too much into the margin on the power supply?  Second question, do I need to put the thermal contact grease on the processor top or not?  I already bought the processor from Amazon, and the intel instructions are somewhat lacking.  there is no mention of the thermal contact grease in their instructions.

• by murf105

I've been using the default Dell GeForce 8600 GT card with my Inspiron 530mt 300w Dell power supply without any issues, last week I upgraded the 530 to a GeForce 9400 GT card, again without issues.

Yes, you need to reapply the thermal compound.

As you intend to reuse the heatsink, plan on cleaning it's base and applying thermal compound to the processor.

Directions for cleaning and applying thermal compound, are HERE.

You only need a small tube of thermal compound, this can be purchased from any computer store.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001