Hard Drive Crash and Reinstall

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Hard Drive Crash and Reinstall

This question is not answered

My hard drive crashed and I have to get a new one.  Unfortunately, not under warrenty  anymore.  Can the disks that came with computer be used to reinstall the operating system etc on my new hard drive?

All Replies
  • Hi Pkmci,

Yes. Do you need help with the installation of the drive and/or operating system? If so, please provide the model of your Dell and OS.

• Thanks for your help.  I have installed hard drives before but it has been awhile.  The computer is a Inspiron Desktop 530S (Processor, E2200, 2.20, 1MB Pentium Core, M0) and the OS is Vista Home Premium.  I would appreciate any hints or links to online help.

Thanks Again,

Pat

•  pkmci

The procedure for replacing the SATA hard drive, are HERE

HOW to reinstall Vista, drivers and applications.

Note the correct order of installing the drivers.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• I have a similar problem. I have a dell XPS 420 with windows Vista. I've had to replace the hard drive with a new one (1TB Hitachi 7200 rpm 32 MB Cache) because the original disk crashed. When I try to use the Dell Reinstallation DVD that came with the system, I get an error  right after selecting the disk I want to install to.  The text is as follows:

"Windows cannot access the required file D:\Sources\Install.wim. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files for installation are available and restart the installation. Error code:0x80070017"

This file is located on the Dell Reinstallation DVD.  Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!