2 Beeps, Diagnostic light ABCD = GGGY, Dimension 4700

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

2 Beeps, Diagnostic light ABCD = GGGY, Dimension 4700

This question is not answered

I have a Dimension 4700. It gave me a windows error, and i tried to repair it trough windows repair console but it didn't work. i removed the disk and formatted it. i mounted everything back the way it was. when i tried i truned the computer up it starts with no video for a couple of seconds and then  it gives 2 short beeps. i checked the diagnostic lights and the only one that was not green was letter D. i checked for the error, disconected all cables reconected them, but still the same error. Disconected everything and try to power on still the same error. Power led is solid green.

Thanks in advance

All Replies
  • CompPR

GGGY indicates 'Another Failure'.

The 4700 Diagnostic Guide is HERE

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If  there is no change in the beep codes and diagnostic lights, you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell