Error Code 2000-0146

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Error Code 2000-0146

This question has suggested answer(s)

hi guys, it seems that I have a problem with my xps 420.

about a week ago, I was trying to update a game, but it froze in the middle of an updates (online)

so I had to hard reset my desktop, when I turned it back on, it won't load the OS at all!
it says that I have to put in my OS CD, and click repair....

so, I did.

after waiting for it to repair for 3 hours!, yes 3! the screen won't say that it's done. seems like it's stuck on 99%!
so I'm tired of waiting.... I decided to hard reset it again....

VOILA! it works!

windows asked me to updates some programs, and I thought I did....
the problem starts here... my computer becomes really really really slow.... unbelievably slow... though I was just opening calculator! and took me 10 min!
and also my updates won't quit bugging me. though I did updated it, it kept on asking me to update the same thing over and over again.... and this has been going on for more than 5 days.

I don't know what's going on... I tried to defrag my registry, clean up junk in my pc, using RAM optimizer,... nothing works....
finally I decide to give up... and let dell diagnose it....

and BAM! it gives me this error code 2000-0146.

when I looked up online, it wants me to reinstall the hard drive. and so I did.

nothing changed.

I'm tempted to reformat my PC. however I think I should ask here first prior to do that.

so, the big question is,....... what am I suppose to do to get my quad core acts like it is quad core?

thanks in advance!

All Replies
  • Raembo

Error 0146 indicates a failed/failing hard drive or bad drive sector.

Basically, this means your hard drive will need to be replaced.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• hm, so the only way to fix this is to buy a new hard drive?

and no other way? how am I suppose to know that my hard drive failed? as I didn't hear any clicking noise or no noise at all?
    it kind of just went slow... without any symptoms/causes.

anyway, thanks for the fast reply! :)

I guess I just have to accept the fact.
    and at least it gives me a new reason to buy a new hard drive :p

• Raembo

You are welcome.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• Hi Bev,

I am having the same error code.

If I have to replace the hard drive I presume that I will lose all my data. I have a lot of work (which yes I should have backed up) which I am desperate not to lose.

Is there any hope?

Dan

• Waiting until a drive is physically failing is not hopeful for getting your data back.  None of the companies that

recover data from damaged drives do so for free and there are no guarantees on what data can or cannot be recovered.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.

• Ohthejoy

Hi Bev,

I am having the same error code.

If I have to replace the hard drive I presume that I will lose all my data. I have a lot of work (which yes I should have backed up) which I am desperate not to lose.

Is there any hope?

Dan

Ohthejoy 

Maybe not.

Does the hard drive still work?

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• No. When I boot up I get a black screen with two options - launch start up repair OR Startup normally.

If I chose strat up normally it shows a warm up screen then for a millisecond a blue screen then goes back to the black screen with the two choices.

If I chose repair option then it lands me on a strange screen with a dove and an olive branch. Leacving on this screen doesnt do nothing. It just stays there.

I ran a diagnostic and it gave me the error code 2000-0146.

I have since removed the hard drive and hooked it up to a working system. The hard drive is visible but the contents are not. I have used a program called 'recover my fules' but again doesnt seem to find them.

I am told that there is a good chance that if I format the drive then the files might be visible when I scan again.

Not sure what to do. What do you suggest?

• No. When I boot up I get a black screen with two options - launch start up repair OR Startup normally.

If I chose strat up normally it shows a warm up screen then for a millisecond a blue screen then goes back to the black screen with the two choices.

If I chose repair option then it lands me on a strange screen with a dove and an olive branch. Leacving on this screen doesnt do nothing. It just stays there.

I ran a diagnostic and it gave me the error code 2000-0146.

I have since removed the hard drive and hooked it up to a working system. The hard drive is visible but the contents are not. I have used a program called 'recover my fules' but again doesnt seem to find them.

I am told that there is a good chance that if I format the drive then the files might be visible when I scan again.

Not sure what to do. What do you suggest?

•  

"I am told that there is a good chance that if I format the drive then the files might be visible when I scan again."

Whoever told you that gives bad advice.

Your only hope at this point is to stop trying to fix it without proper tools and software.

Keep in Mind that Data recovery is very expensive.

Ontrack Data recovered files for a client.  They charged $350 for diag and $3500 for recovery.

DriveSavers Data Recovery Services – Hard Drive, Disk, & RAID Data ...

• Why is this a mistke. Why does this not work? I have no experience in this area and so I am following the giudance of IT in our company.

• "Why is this a mistke. Why does this not work?"

Any attempts at using software to "fix" this from this point on will only make things worse.

3rd party recovery experts are $Expensive.

FORMATTING A DRIVE is NOTa solution for recovery of data.

•  Ohthejoy

Sounds like the hard drive is toast and to recover the files and folders, you will need the services of a data recovery company.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Unfortunately for the OPs in this section, this error code can lead to multiple different issues. Generally it indicates a problem with the hard drive. However, it may indicate future failure, corrupt or missing data sectors, or faulty drive controller hardware. It DOES NOT necessarily indicate hard drive failure beyond recovery. Any tech with a little experience and a live boot linux distro can usually read the drive and recover the data. A personal favorite is Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/). This contains a live boot Linux distro known as Parted Magic. Parted Magic contains multiple hard drive tools including SMART error tools and Partition Management. You can also used Parted Magic to view the files on the hard drive. If you are able to mount the drive inside of Parted Magic, then you can generally view and read the files. Attach an external drive and copy the files desired. After this it is recommended to install a new hard drive or at least a known good drive, install a fresh copy of your operating system and restore your files.

Long story short, even if you have error 0146 you aren't always screwed.

• Regardless of data recovery, your next step is to purchase and install a new hard drive.  I work with Dell Latitude laptops and Optiplex Desktops at my company and have been working with them for the past 10 years.  The 2000-0146 errors I've seen for the past 3-4 years when I run a diagnostic on hard drives for users who's computers would no longer boot up to Windows. 

On occasion I have been able run a chkdsk /r to repair bad sectors on the drives.  This can get things working, but even if it does, you are prolonging the obvious and may end up worse off by continuing to run the computer knowing the hard drive is starting to fail.  By worse off, I mean completely unable to recover your data.

Best bet is to get another drive installed, image it up to your choice of Windows O/S, get all your updates and everything running smooth like you want.  Then, one trick I have found that tends to work when the drive is just getting errors and is still at least seen by the BIOS is to put the drive in a ziploc freezer bag sealed.  Place the drive in your freezer for an hour or so to get it good and cold.  You will need a hard drive caddy or slave tool so you can attach your old drive to your system using a USB cable.  Hook that up, hook up the drive, and look for it to show up as another drive letter/hard drive in Windows Explorer.  If it works, copy everything you need as quickly as possible because once it heats back up, you may lose the drive again.

Just an FYI, this is what has worked for me on several dell optiplex and latitude devices with failed drives.  I look at it this way, "if the drive has failed as indicated by the error code, I'm not going to hurt anything to try and recover the user data."  If it doesn't work, the user has already lost their data.  This is in a company environment though and our users have been warned not to save important files on their C drive due to the possibiility of failure without backup.

If this works, consider yourself lucky and go buy yourself an external 300+ Gb USB hard drive and utilize a backup program to backup your important stuff on your home PC.

• well ive been looking up these codes all day and tring this and that tring to get  this desktop to start up it crash's same as the  other guys ..now ive been reading from alot of other sights on this topic  and it seems everyone is convinced  this is a hard drive issue well this is what i did and im still working on this  i have  2 dell desk tops  one thast works and boots up fine  and  then the one im posting about .at start up windows looks like its going to come up  then the error  comes up .. so ive tried to safe boot  ive tried system recov, ive also  tried to do a full system reset back to the fac settings .. all failed do too errors  so yea im thinking its the hard drive also .. but  to check i figured id  run it with the good hard drive from the pother pc to check  and some how make the other drive as slave  so that i can save  the files ect  well  the good drive wont boot up eather  same errors ect  all my  settings  in the bios ect r  right  so im so ime just tossing it out there for now  that  you might not need to go buy a hard drive  ill  post more findings  later  on tonight  as im still messing about with this