Integrated Webcam issue, XPS One A2010, New Windows 7 Full Install

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Integrated Webcam issue, XPS One A2010, New Windows 7 Full Install

This question is not answered

Hi,

I'm new to this community, so please don't bite!

I'm rather experienced with computers but this problem has me stumped.  I have an XPS One A2010 (Red) that I bought new a couple of years ago.  Best desktop machine I've ever owned.

It came stock with WIndows Vista Ultimate.  I just did a complete "custom" (read: "full") install of Windows 7 Ultimate on this computer.  Starting off with a clean slate, so to speak.  So far, so good.  Everything seems to be coming together and  working just fine.  HOWEVER....albeit Windows sees the integrated webcam and the device manager insists the most current driver for it is in place, whenever I try to access the camera from the Devices and Printers section of the main menu, I get this error:

"You need a WIA driver to use this device. Please install it from the installation CD or the manufacturer's website and try again."

I can't seem to find anything here in Windows that will call up the webcam.  Not even in the settings for Windows Live Messenger, which is where I typically use the cam (yes, it has worked before).  I'm just trying to make sure the darn thing works and configure it, if necessary.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?  I'm still learning my way around Windows 7.  I thought perhaps Windows 7 would supply a generic WIA driver but that apparently hasn't happened.

Anyway, I've done stuff like uninstall and reinstall the device and the drivers supplied to me via the drivers page for my sevice tag.  Same result.  I've tried a couple of other webcam drivers.  Same result.   I'm rather lost at Creative's web for drivers  because I haven't been able to determine the specific model or model series of the internal webcam.  All I know is it's a Creative device integrated in the Dell system.

I know Dell doesn't officially support WIndows 7 for this machine but, generally, Vista drivers should work most of the time.  

Is there anyone else here who has run into this problem before and knows of a fix or a work-around?

Thanks!

All Replies
  • Has anyone EVER found a driver for the integrated webcam in the A2010 (XPS ONE)?

I tried all the things I could via Google answers, none work.

I did find:

PCIVEN for Dell Inc. 'XPS A2010' Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Device name: Integrated Webcam
    Device ID: USB\VID_05A9& PID_2642& MI_00\6& 35C8B9A& 0& 0000
    Class: {6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
    Version: 1.0.1.720

But where is the driver for Windows 7 then?