Precision 390 blinking amber power light

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Precision 390 blinking amber power light

This question is not answered

Guys, my 390 suddenly went down yesterday with a blinking amber light. I searched these forums and guessed it's the PSU, but I'm seeing the same thing with the new PSU.

Is it the motherboard then or could you help diagnose a bit further? Few observations:

1. If I disconnect the P2 power connector, the PSU and all the fans start up; power light is solid amber; the CPU fan starts and after a couple of seconds begins spinning like crazy
  2. With P2 connected, I've tried with everything removed except the CPU card, one memory stick, and video card - still blinking amber
  3. With P2 connected, if I remove everything (no CPU, memory, or any card), I still see a blinking (not solid as I guess it's supposed to be) amber

I'd appreciate any help you can give!

All Replies
  • That sure sounds like the motherboard is bad, since the PSU is good and there isn't anything else.

Peter

• Thanks, that's what I figured as well. I've ordered a new board, will see if that fixes the problem.

• Turns out it WAS the MB. Replaced it and all is good. For others in the same situation, I had a RAID 5 setup and was worried I might lose the data if I connected the disks into the wrong ports. Looks like you can always replug as necessary if the system doesn't recognize the RAID - just be careful not to get into the RAID configuration at startup (Ctrl+I) and do anything there that'll regret.