computer won't recognize modem

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

computer won't recognize modem

This question is not answered

Hello there, 

Can you help me figure out what is wrong and possibily fix my computer please?  What happened was my dsl modem which is on a power surge protector like all my electronics popped during a lightning storm.  So I had to get a new dsl modem from my isp.  Now the dsl modem works fine, even on my laptop which Im using now, however it isn't being recognized by my desktop.  There's this message "a network connection is unpluged."  I've checked the connections, everything is hooked up fine.  I contacted my isp for tech help and they were unable to solve the problem.  I was told nothing is wrong with the line or dsl modem, so it has to do with my desktop.  I have a dell dimension e510, xp home sp3, bios plus version 1.10 v07, system model DM051.  What seems to be wrong is in device manager, under other devices, there is two devices with the dreaded yellow question and exclamation mark, called PCI Simple Communcations Controller, and SM Bus Controller.  They both state Code 28, the drivers are not installed.  I asked the isp tech if I reinstalled the driver for my network adapter, which is a intel pro/100 VE network connection, whether that would fixed the 2 devices, they said it would.  So I reinstalled the driver, it didnt fix it, even rolled back the driver and no luck.  I noticed each time it would try to aquire the network address, then go back to a network connection is unplugged.  I'm at a loss what to do.  I've downloaded the intel communcations driver from the dell site for my desktop, no luck there either.  I would appriecate help on this matter.

Thank you,

Nathan B 

All Replies
  • hi Nathan,

Both of the devices you list should install properly if you reinstall the chipset drivers. Try that.

• Thanks.

About the chipset drivers...how and what do I do, reinstall my motherboard driver?  I have no idea how to do this.  Or is there specific chipset drivers for certain devices?  Which drivers do I reinstall?  I didnt get any discs with my computer.  I assume I can find it at the drivers page?  

• You should be able to put in your service tag number and be directed to the chipset drivers for your system. INSTALL chipset drivers first or other drivers will fail to install correctly.

Only use the Service Tag number at the Dell site. Do Not post it here or you will violate the Terms of Use for the forums and could get your posts deleted.

Jeff

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• Thanks.

Alright  I installed the intel chipset driver off the site here, it did correct the problem with the SM Bus controller, however the PCI Simple Communications Controller is still showing a Code 28, the driver for this device are not installed.  Any ideas?

• I am not 100% sure but that sounds like a standard driver that would be included with Windows. Have you tried the Microsoft site?

Jeff

XPS 8100 i7-860(8MB Cache, 2.8GHz), 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz, 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s 16MB Cache, nVidia GeForce GTS2401GB GDDR3, Dell ST2310 Full HD Widescreen Monitor, AverMedia G2 Combo hybrid TV Tuner, dual 16x DVD+/- RW dbl layer, Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD, Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. 

If your question is answered here on the forums; PLEASE post back! It may help another user.              

• The PCI simple communications drive can be your audio driver. try that one.

When you look at the connector plug on the computer were you plug in the ethernet cable from the modem do you see any little lights on?

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• I'll try the microsoft and audio driver.  I dont see any little lights where the ethernet cable connects to computer. 

• Alright I reinstalled the audio driver, and installed the intel SOL and HECI Device programs suggested by the microsoft site, no luck.  Any ideas?

• I only have one left and it isn't a nice one: Maybe more than the modem got fried. Any chance you could borrow a different adapter for the desktop?

Jeff

• Try downloading and installing the intel diagnostic utility and see if that reports anything.

Since you are not seeing any lights on the ether net port I am in agreement with Jeff that your NIC is shot.

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Well it must have been my NIC was shorted or malfunctioned.  I went out and bought a ethernet card, removed the dial-up modem which I never used, and put the ethernet card in the PCI slot, and the connection is fine now.  Thanks for all your guys help. 

• Glad you got it going again. You might want to get better protection or pull the plug during the next big storm!! Pull the ethernet cable. The majority of that kind of damage is from the commo connection not the power cords.

Jeff