DIMENSION 8400 POWER SUPPLY - STANDARD ATX?

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

DIMENSION 8400 POWER SUPPLY - STANDARD ATX?

This question is not answered

Hello, This is my very 1st post in this forum...

I need to replace my power Dell NPS-350CB A power supply...

The Motherboard is a SKT 775 Intel Pentium 4   DP\N 0J3492 

So I need to know...   WILL A DELL DIMENSION 8400 TAKE A STANDARD ATX POWER SUPPLY?  or  WILL IT GO BANG AND FRY IN A PUFF OF $$$$$ SMOKE?

The Motherboard has a standard 24pin ATX Power connector, No other power connectors are present. 

All Replies
  • You need one with either a 24-pin or 20+4 pin, plus connectors for SATA hard drives, etc.  One issue you have with the 8400 is that you'll have to mod the case to accomodate a PSU if it has its own power switch, so you probably want one without.

You can get an OEM Dell 250W PSU for the 8400 here, a 305W PSU here, or a 350W PSU here, each for $50 including shipping.

Ron

If this answers your question, please click  Yes  

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Hi Ron,  Thank you for your reply,  I already have bought a Standard 450 Watt ATX PSU that will fit, (It has no power switch), I'm just to "CHICKEN"  to plug it in!

I really need to be sure that Dell did not fit a proprietary PSU in the DIMENSION 8400 before i plug it all in and switch on !!!

• Aaaawwww, don't be chicken. It can only go up in smoke once!! Angel

Read the post by shesagordie in this thread. She's the expert.  Idea

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Don't be Chicken? 

I don't want "FRIED CHIPS" with my KFC'Dell?

Anyway i'm trying to give up smoking!!!

Dell are a nuisance for using proprietary, (NON-STANDARD), components in their machines.

I'll check out the post by shesagordie...

Thanks Ron, 

Regards,

Chuck

• Chuck,

Now that you and sheagordie (Bev) are old friends and fellow pensioners, and have explored the highlights of Dungeness in your other thread, you can plug in that  new PSU on the 8400 and... Stick out tongue

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Hi Ron,

Yes, Sorry - I am new to this forum...

I've found a friend in Texas who used to live in London...

I appologise for using the forum for small talk !

I'll try to stick to issues involving Dell Computers ! 

What make\model of PSU do you have in your 8400?

Chuck.

• You don't have to apologize. I was just teasing you about gabbing with Bev (shesagordie) about the "old" country ("old", at least for her). It was her post about using an ATX PSU in the 8400 I suggested you read, just to confirm what I said about connecting your new PSU. She sure knows a lot about PCs and is one of the real experts on the Dell forums. 

My 8400 has the original OEM Dell PSU. Don't know who actually made it, but it's Rev01. Early 8400's had PSU Rev00 which had a lot of failures so Dell went with a different one, hence Rev01.

Touch wood, no problems in almost 6 years...

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Hi Ron,

No, you were right - this forum isn't a chat room!

Yes, Bev (shesagordie), - more like (shesanexpert), sure knows a lot ...

"RESPECT" for all the PC Gods and Goddesses out there who know what there talkiing about !!!

Yes Dell OEM PSUs' are well made and under specified, e.g (They can often cope with slightly higher than their specified rating).

The PSU is the number 1 component in any PC - Forget the CPU/RAM/HDD/GFX CARD , without a solid and safe POWER SUPPLY in your PC - It isn't going to be reliable and it's value can vanish in a puff of $$$$ SMOKE !!!

My 1st PC ( An Intel i386 "25Mhz" CPU) had a PSU made by Intel - It was well made and very heavy with a large on\off toggle switch.

I often thought that it would make a great door stop if it ever failed, but it never did !

Do you have any reinstall disks for your 8400?

If you do, Are they XP Home or XP Pro?

Regards,

Chuck.

• If you need the XP reinstallation CD, you should contact Dell-UK. The online form for replacement disks is only for US residents.

It's my understanding that Dell is now charging shipping/handling fees to replace the Windows disk if the system isn't under warranty.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Hi Ron,

Ok, I'll try contacting Dell-UK.

Thank you,

Chuck.

• Hi Ron,

Success !

I have now installed the new Standard ATX 450W Power Supply in my Dimension 8400.

No Smoke - No Drama, Just a perfect Bootup !

No more "CHICKEN" for Chuck.

Thank you for your help !

Chuck.

• Yes

Ron

Forum Member since 2004

I am NOT a Dell employee

• Just what I was looking for some help with the 8400 power supply.  I have searched locally at the compusa/Tiger Direct but am at a loos as to which I should purchase.  Any assistance would be helpful.

Mike

• GoldenBolt

To replace the power supply of the 8400, you can use most standard ATX PSU's with a 24pin or 20 + 4-pin main motherboard power connector and no on/off switch and two SATA power connectors.

If a PSU with a on/off switch, the back panel will have to be modified for it  [cut a hole].

A 400w Dell Dimension compatible power supply can be purchased from HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Dimension 8400 and GX280 while it will take a standard supply will not go into the case without hacking a hole in the rear of the case.

I recommend Right Angle Tin Snips to do this.

I use Antec True PowerII 550W or better power supplies. They have universal 24/20 pin setup.

The right angle Tin snips are $30 and the Nibber Tool is usually $12.

Radio Shack Still carries the Kronus Nibbler tools.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062765&cp

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId=133811899

Kronus Nibbling Tool

Model: 64-2960 Catalog #: 64-2960  

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2289712

GO! MOD Nibbler 29524 Metal Cutting Tool 

Model: 29524
    Catalog #: 55010716

https://www.ductcleanersupply.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=74

These snips have a 90 degree, right angle for getting into tight places. Green Handles cut straight and to the right.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues here:

Dell - Unresolved Customer Service Issues

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating.