Power supply replacement for Vostro 200

Desktop

Desktop
Desktop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Power supply replacement for Vostro 200

This question is not answered

I am upgrading the video card in my Dell Vostro 200 and need to upgrade the power supply as well. I saw thess two post on a computer forum that suggested you can't use a general power supply on some Dell machines, but need one specific for Dell. Here are the two posts:

1) You just can't buy any pwr supply because Dell has an extra pwr supply lead that goes to the mobo on many models. Standard supplies have one bundle that has a double row of wires on the connector that goes to the motherboard, and all the rest go to hard drive;CDrom drive;floppy;maybe a procesor fan.

2) There was a period when Dell used non-industry standard voltages on their ATX power supplies (1996-2000) the pin-outs matched the standard ATX plug-ins but their voltages were different. Thus if you used a different motherboard with those power supplies or a non Dell power supply with a Dell motherboard... Zap... You were fried. Here is a Dell link with the pin-out voltages for the 180 Watt power supply used with the 4300S http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4300s/techov.htm

Since these posts were not recently made I was wondering if this is true about the Vostro 200. Am I safe replacing the power supply with a general after market power supply or do I need one specially made for a Dell.

Thanks

All Replies
  • mlup01

The Vostro 200 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply.

The Vostro 200 Mini Tower can use most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001
    I am not employed by Dell

• Thanks so much for your help!!

• mlup01

You are welcome.  Yes

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please use the 'Did this answer the question' and click: Yes
    Forum Member since 2001

• What about a Vostro 200 Slim Tower?  Can you get replacement PSUs for it?

•  Mayhemm

Yes.

The Vostro 200S, has a TFX power supply.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Thanks!  I would assume that one would just have to search for TFX when shopping for a PSU then?

•  Mayhemm

Yes.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Sorry if this is a stupid question.  I have a Dell Vostro 230, and the video card I bought has a requirement for a 450W power usppy with 75 Watt 6-Pin PCI express power connnetor recomended  Is the suggestion you made for mlup01 the same for me?   Thanks in advance for any replies

• my current power supply is only 300W

• Garrett_Mullen

Sorry if this is a stupid question.  I have a Dell Vostro 230, and the video card I bought has a requirement for a 450W power usppy with 75 Watt 6-Pin PCI express power connnetor recomended  Is the suggestion you made for mlup01 the same for me?   Thanks in advance for any replies

Garrett_Mullen

If you have a Vostro 230 with a factory installed 300w power supply, then it's the Mini Tower version.

For the 230 Mini Tower, most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Hello,

Same question actually. I'm willing to upgrade my power supply of my vostro 460. It has a 350 Watt power now, but I prefer a 650w power. Do I need a specific power supply or do I succeed with any supply?

Thx,

Dennis

• dennisvdc

Most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch, would be compatible with the Vostro 460.

Note: For the Vostro 460 Tower, a power supply with a minimum of four SATA power connectors is required.

Check out, either the Corsair, or Antec makes of power supplies.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• Here's a 400-watt TFX: www.ecrater.com/.../tfx-400w-power-supply-400-watt

• rdunnill

rdunnill

The OP's Vostro 460 does not support TFX PSU's, only the ATX units.  Wink

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

• I picked up a 430 watt psu from newegg for 44 with 20MIR, it is a corsair 430watt.  the main power connector fits fine, for the pci express cable that comes with the psu is 6 pin, i plug in 4 of the pins, but when i go to boot it up, it just gives me a flashing orange light instead of booting up with the regular blue light.  it looks like all of these psu have 6 pin pci cables.  

is it time to ditch my vostro 200?  the other thing is this: it comes with the video card attached to the modo, but it does have room for a second video card(which i already picked up, but just waiting to get a working psu.

is there a problem with the psu i got(the corsair 430) or am i just messing up with the 6 pin connector?  the mobo is fine, i was able to put back all of the old psu parts and it works now